It's a Mask Off! {Origins&Queen Julep}

Months ago when I was reading about the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque in comparison to the Origins Clear Improvement mask (which I owned), the Google search results were a bit disappointing. However, I did manage to find this link, which was quite helpful.

Anyways, today I'll do a comparison/review between the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, Origins Clear Improvement Mask, and Origins Out of Trouble mask, just in case it may be helpful to people out there who want a comparison. 

10 pts. for you if you recognize the quote! (Clear Improvement is not pictured because I had already returned it)


Origins Clear Improvement mask - $23 USD/$27 CDN for 3.4 oz

What it is: "When environmental toxins, dirt, and debris get under your skin, its waste-filtering system gets jammed, pores get clogged, and skin looks cloudy. Nature's complexion clean-up crew gets to the bottom of skin's overcast condition and clears the way for it to act its best."

This was the first mask I had ever bought (what the what!), and I bought it back in January this year. Having read so many favourable reviews about it's ability to unclog oil and debris from the skin, I purchased it, hoping for the best for my super clogged T-zone. When I used it for the first time (after using a Clarisonic to open pores), I could see the oil being absorbed from my pores, which was fantastic! I washed it off 45 minutes later, and to be honest, I wasn't super impressed by the results, especially for the price. I didn't really see a difference in my pores, even after multiple uses of the product. I'm glad this mask worked for other people, however, it just didn't work for me. I ended up returning the product after I picked up my Queen Helene mask because I was so impressed with the new mask. (On the other hand, the Clear Improvement mask will last for a very long time! I used it often for several weeks, but when I had to return it, the tube was still quite full!)

Origins says it's suitable for all skin types, but I found that this mask can be quite drying on the skin, even for my oily T-zone, and I'm about as oily as they come.

Origins Out of Trouble mask - $23 USD/$27 CDN for 3.4 oz

What it is: "When skin is too slick or when more pressing problems start to pop up, it's Origins to the rescue. Formulated with natural troubleshooters, including super-absorbent zinc oxide and sulfur plus calming camphor, this mask rapidly responds to problem skin with a three-part plan: sop up oily-shine, slough off sticky, dead cells, and sweep away irksome debris.

If Origins' Clear Improvement was 'quite drying' on my skin, Out of Trouble is the motherlode of drying dryingness. Back in the pre-Queen Helene days, I loved this product. So much that I actually managed to use up half of it within 6 months. Reviewers actually said to use this as a spot treatment, and I actually found this to be a decent spot-treatment product for active blemishes! I would apply the product after my night  shower and leave it on until the morning. However, I've found that is product won't work on acne cysts or acne that has not formed...a white...head? (that...sounds so weird). Also, this product is quite expensive, and you could find better spot-treatments for a lower price. This product also has a strong medicinal scent, which I personally love, but others may find it extremely overwhelming. 

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque - $3.99 for 8 oz. 

What it is: "A fantastic home acne treatment, this mint julep masque is designed to dry up acne, rinse away blackheads, and shrink large pores, leaving your face clean and blemish free."

There is a reason this mask is considered a classic. This mask is everything I wanted 'Clear Improvement' to be, and more. When this mask dries, I can see the excess oil being absorbed from my pores, and when I rinse it after about 30 mins later, I see immediate tightness in my pores, and my face looks brighter and more 'glowy'. UGH, if I see tightness in my pores, I am immediately happy because the pores around my nose are huge, and I'm not kidding! This mask is instant gratification is a tube, and you could even use it as a spot treatment! Did I mention the beautiful minty scent this mask has? Because it makes having this mask on more enjoyable. Did I mention how cheap it is? BECAUSE IT'S 4 DOLLARS AND IT ACTUALLY DOES WHAT IT CLAIMS TO DO! (I mean, it rids blackheads from more forehead, but my stubborn blackheads on my nose are putting up a damn good fight) There is a reason I had to return my Clear Improvement mask, and that's because this $4 product outperforms the $23 product! :( THE ANGELS AND I CAN SING PRAISES ABOUT THIS PRODUCT 5EVER. *´▽`*

P.S. This mask can be a bit drying though, but nothing a moisturizer can't handle. 
P.P.S. I recommend you not watch any funny videos/have hilarious online conversations while you have this mask on because, well, it's hard to move your face after the mask has dried. 
P.P.P.S. Where can I find this in Canada? I heard Sally's Beauty Supply carries it, but I've yet to pop into my local SBS to check if they carry it.

Basically, Queen Helene does what the other two Origins should do, so in my opinion, just pick up the mint mask.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd yeah! I hope this post was somewhat helpful to those considering any of these masks, and hope you have a fantastic weekend!

2 comments

  1. Amazing post Dear! ♥

    www.berries-fashion.blogspot.com - FOLLOW ME <3
    www.facebook.com/wiktoriabachowskaphotography - LIKE MY ON FACEBOOK<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! :)

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete