Monday, June 17, 2013

Tarte Cheek Stains {Tipsy & Blissful}

I suppose this would be my first review I've ever done for a product...!



















BUT I WANT TO START OFF WITH THIS PICTURE FIRST
I don't know, I was at Harbourfront and I've always thought that pigeons had one of the best animal struts. Pigeons can WERK!!!!1!!!

Back on topic--spring brought me on a hunt to find the most natural, "glow-from-within", coral blushes for my blotchy skin. Powders were nice, but I had somehow convinced myself that I was in need of some cheek stains because they "stained the cheeks for a natural looking flush". Benefit's tints, Stila's convertible colours, and Josie Maran's colour sticks were all in for consideration for cream/liquid blushes, but in the end I picked up Tarte's Cheek Stains because they had significantly more product and I'm a greedy witch of the beneficial/natural ingredients. Acai extract! Acerola extract! Goji berry extract! Maracuja extract! Pomegranate extract! How could I resist? I ended up taking Tipsy and Blissful home with me.

Tarte describes these as: "Tarte Cheek Stain is a water-based gel cheek tint that gives you a natural flush—exactly like someone just pinched your cheeks!" and they retail for $36 CDN/$30 USD. You could also use this on your lips, which is nice.


Tipsy is described as a "sheer coral-pink with a hint of white shimmer/ apricot scented", and Blissful as a "warm peachy pink".

(Even I have to admit these are terrible swatches)
I don't quite agree that it smells like apricot--both smell citrus-y to me, but I love it! I love, love, love the colour of Tipsy! It is a beautiful coral, and if you're struggling deciding which of the two to get, I definitely recommend getting Tipsy over Blissful for a natural looking blush...or just as a prettier blush in general. I actually find that Blissful ends up darker on my face than Tipsy, which is strange. 

Unfortunately, this product does have it's issues, and while I may experience these issues, not everyone may experience the same. I find that when I apply this blush, it has a tendency to wipe off the foundation on my cheeks, exposing the redness that I had previously covered up. While this is a good product, I cannot stress enough that it is better suited to those who have fairly good skin. I also find that it wears off throughout the day, and it doesn't set properly on my skin...as in, it remains sticky (may be just my oily skin though!) To combat this, I will usually set it with a powdered blush (usually Milani's Luminoso BECAUSE CORAL).

The price is also steep (!Thank goodness I bought it during Sephora's Chic Week with the 15% off), but on the other hand, you are paying for paraben-free, cruelty-free, mineral oil-free, synthetic fragrance-free, etc, so it is better for your skin. I can't vouch for the "skinvogorating benefits" of the product, but I do know sometimes parabens can be irritating on the skin, plus all those fruit extracts are rich in antioxidants are bound to be somewhat beneficial to the skin? You're also getting quite a lot of product for the price  (0.5oz, compared to, say Benefit's stains which are .42oz and are the same price).

In the end, it really is up to you to decide whether these blushes are worth it, though. It does have it's merits and disadvantages. If I had to rate, it would probably be a 4/5 for me.

And, if anything, you could just hop into Sephora and swatch away (BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I DO BEST IN THERE)!

No comments:

Post a Comment