Battle of the Beams {Benefit's 'Moon Beam' vs. 'High Beam'}

I don't trust anyone who can spend $30 CDN for a face highlighter...let alone two bottles...wait...(yeah, I had to check if I still trusted myself...I don't). Highlighters are not essential, but I we love a good, healthy, luminous glow to disguise the fact that our late night sessions has left our skin quite dull (It's also good for ~mesmerizing~ the other sex [I sound like a 1950's guide to housewife etiquette right now, ugh]).

Benefit's liquid highlighters are among the most well known in the 'beauty realm', and I knew I had to try them! But does anyone ever know which one to pick out of the three? I ended up taking home 'Moon Beam', a 'golden apricot liquid highlighter', and 'High Beam', a "satiny pink liquid highlighter" to test and compare against each other.

(Also, I find the lack of posts comparing these two disappointing...so I made my own resource/reference!)

Swatches
One Swipe, Unblended
 Blended Out
As you can see, 'High Beam' is much starker than 'Moon Beam', and the latter is very subtle due to its apricot tone. (You can barely see 'Moon Beam'!)

SWATCHES ON MA FASE
Apologies in advance for my face; brace yo'selves. (Also, apologies, I tried a new foundation today and it made my face orange/really yellow ;-;) (Also, I have no idea what is happening with my nose...it's super weird)

Dotted along my cheekbones

Blended Out, With Direct Light Hitting Cheeks

??? Free for all/Freestyle? What is happening?

I may or may not have taken the highlighters down my cheeks...but you can see how they appear in the shade.
_________________________________________________________________
Observances/Thoughts
- My camera sucks at picking this up, but 'Moon Beam' is an iridescent apricot hue on the face, while 'Moon Beam' is just very silvery on the face.
- As you ~obviously~ see, 'High Beam' is more dramatic on the face, while 'Moon Beam' is subtle, and is more 'natural-looking'. You could bring the latter down to your cheeks and have really dewy, radiant cheeks. If you did that with 'High Beam', well, you can see in set #4 above (I mean, it's up to you, but it is very shimmery...)
- 'Moon Beam' blends in very easily...as in, it will disappear on you if you blend it in too much! I like to gently blend it in, focusing on the edges so the center colour is still intact.
- Some say 'Moon Beam' is for everyday, while 'High Beam' is for night outings/events/etc. I think it all depends on your skin tone!
- If you have sensitive skin, swatch on your skin to make sure this product doesn't cause a reaction! I put this on my mom once, and she later complained of itchiness on the areas where I applied 'Moon Beam'. I haven't experienced such a reaction, but it's a heads up anyways!
- Overall, I don't think I would be able to choose between the two now that I have them both! Both are good for different purposes (I'm leaning towards 'Moon Beam' because it's great for everyday and I have no night outings/events to wear 'High Beam' to, but that's just me.... ._.'')

"What's your favourite colour?", AS IN, which would you choose?
I really don't know why anyone would buy such an expensive highlighter (oh wait, I did, oops), but if you are considering any of these two, I hope you found this post....somewhat helpful...?

10 comments

  1. Thanks for comparing both of these highlighters! Out of the two, I think I would definitely pick Moon Beam, it seems like something I would actually use rather than having it sit in a corner with the rest of my makeup collection! Maybe I should start highlighting more often...
    <3 Pauline, Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ergh, higlighting looks fantastic at the beginning, but depending on your skin tone, you can end up looking like a hot mess by the end of the day (-coughcoughmeandmyoilyskin-)

      Thanks! C:

      Delete
  2. It's a great comparison! And honestly, I would probably buy them both too. ;)

    Carol | Bitten Glam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expensive as fudge highlighters tbh though

      Delete
  3. I haven’t tried high beam before, but sounds great from what you’ve said. Might have to treat myself :)
    http://www.heroineinheels.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TREAT YO' SELF Parks and Rec style c:

      Delete
  4. thanks for this - it was a really good idea! After reading this I think I personally would prefer High Beam because I have a feeling Moon Beam would just disappear on my skin :) I really want to try a liquid highlighter, because I've always just used powders and they don't have that same dewy effect.. also loving all the glitter, I bet that was fun to clean up!
    zara
    x

    lavieenrose-xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really does tend to disappear into the skin if you blend it in too much! :(
      That is true! I tried a powder highlight today, and it really didn't have the same dewy effect as the liquid ones.

      OMG, DON'T GET ME STARTED. I WAS SCARED THAT THE WIND COMING THROUGH FROM MY WINDOW WOULD BLOW ALL THE GLITTER AWAY, TURNING MY ROOM INTO A UNICORN VOMIT AREA ;-;
      But yeah, it was a pain to clean up! Thanks for noticing ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this post! I LOVE high beam, moon beam, basically ALL of Benefit! Have you tried Watt's Up? I'm obsessed :D ~Kelly http://chicnstylishblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't tried Watt's Up yet, but I'm hoping to get my Sephora birthday freebies soon to test it out! C:

      Delete