Princess Mia & I {And by 'Mia' I mean the Clarisonic}

Is it weird that I call my Clarisonic Mia "Princess Mia"...like...The Princess Diaries Princess Mia? I'm in habit of giving nicknames to everything, unfortunately. Anyways, I've had my Clarisonic Mia for about a year now, and I'd just like to share with you my experiences and thoughts about this blogosphere 'highly loved product'. (Spoiler alert- I think it's just 'alright')


Also, because I never really did a Canada Day post, fireworks GIFs will be under the jump! I recorded the fireworks show at Woodbine Beach some of these fireworks are literally the best (as in, there's a heart and smiley face firework).

Back on track...

Dr. Horrible, anyone?
Closeup magic
I tried slowing the gif down to show the oscillation ~magic~ but OBVIOUSLY THAT DID  NOT WORK OUT ._.

A Bit of Background

I bought the Mia after hearing so many positive reviews about how it 'transformed' skin for the better--reduced blemishes, blackheads and whiteheads, 'tighter' skin, better product 'absorption', e.g. I wasn't expecting this to be a miracle product, but hey, if that many people were raving about it, there had to be something fantastic about it. I bought it summer '12 and have been using it ever since. I have ridiculously stubborn blackheads on my nose and chin, so I picked up the Mia, hoping for the best.

(Also, for those who are deciding on whether to go Mia or Mia2, get the original Mia...unless you really do feel like you need a case, a timer that tells you when to move the brush, and 2 different speeds...for an extra $20...plus tax)

Fast Forward One Year...
...and I still have stubborn blackheads on my nose and chin. I think if anything, I have even more visible pores on my nose. :((((

On the other hand, when I do use the Clarisonic on my nose, I do feel and see the dislodging of some blackheads, which is nice. It's also weird because the Clarisonic is able to take the blackheads off my forehead like a breeze. So basically, I really have no idea what is happening with the whole blackheads situation.

And so, I've assembled a Pros & Cons list from my own personal experiences with Mia.
Pros

  • Deep cleanses and exfoliates skin. When I first used this, my initial reaction was 'HOLY MY FACE FEELS LIKE BABY ANGEL FEATHERS AND BABY PUPPY FUR WOW SO SOFT'. You can definitely physically feel the effects of the Clarisonic on the skin, and with regular use, blackheads can be dislodged. 
  • Gradual reduction of acne. Gradual, not dramatic; I've definitely noticed a decrease in the amount of breakouts I get, because dead cells are sloughed off regularly. 
  • Better product absorption. With the dead cells buffed away to reveal healthy cells, products are better absorbed into the skin.
  • Mia is super portable....pretty much because it's small. It's size makes it convenient to carry around for travel. 
Cons
  • Expensive. So, so, so expensive (in my opinion). It's $120 USD/$140 CDN for the Clarisonic Mia, and on top of that, you have to replace the brush head every three months. Brush heads cost $25-30 CDN apiece. 
  • It's probably just me, but I can't, for the life in me, get rid of the blackheads on my nose and chin, no matter how much I scrub my nose with this product. 
I've also compiled a list of 'How to Get the Most Out of Your Clarisonic'
  • Do not use this everyday. Cannot stress this enough. It's a cleansing product, but it also exfoliates/buffs your dead skin away for smooth, uncongested skin. Using this daily will damage your skin through over-exfoliation, stripping away healthy cells, and drying out areas, leading to flakiness. Trust me, I've experienced this firsthand. I personally use the Mia 2-3 times a week. 
  • Wash your brush head every week. With soap. This is really important because you don't want a bacteria and dead skin buildup on a product that makes direct contact with your face every time you use it! For me, I just turn my Mia on, and scrub a bar of soap with it. Also, when I get foundation stains on my brush head, I use the same technique. (With that being said, take off all your makeup before using the Clarisonic!) 
  • Use a gentle face wash. Using a harsh scrub combined with the exfoliating mechanism of the Clarisonic is just asking for trouble. You'd obviously want to use a gentle wash when using the Clarisonic.
  • Best lip exfoliator. Best $140 lip exfoliator I've used, HEHEH. ಠᴗಠ
  • I personally find it better to apply a face cleanser on my face first, then use the Clarisonic. If I put product onto the brush head, I feel like all the product disappears into the back of the brush...
  • Play around with the brush heads! I find the 'normal' brush too harsh for my skin, so I use the 'sensitive' one. You're going to want to find the brush head that best suits your skin. 
  • This(!)

'TL;DR' AND 'I.E.' FOR LAZY PEOPLE///FINAL THOUGHTS

To be honest, I really don't see why manual and regular exfoliation with any other exfoliating product won't achieve the same results as the Clarisonic. I know loads of people will probably disagree with me about this statement, but it's what I've personally experienced, and I know it has worked wonders for people, but just not me. I feel like this item is not an essential item, but it is a good item if you've got an extra $140 and feel like buying a fancy-pants exfoliator. 

Stay tuned/click through the jump for really fantastic (and I really do mean fantastic) fireworks!







16 comments

  1. Yay, thanks for the fireworks GIF (and the review too, of course hehe) ^__^
    I've been wanting a Clarisonic for SO long, it's on my wishlist every christmas but I never get it. I guess it's overhyped, if it doesn't "change your life" and all that jazz. ;n; $140 for "eh" results isn't that great for me... meh.

    Thanks again! ^__^

    Junniku blog [Click!]
    - A Korean fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more fun making fireworks gifs than typing this post so I'm glad to see someone enjoy them as much as I do LOL

      I don't know, my skin is pretty whack! Maybe you could/should get it for Christmas and see how it personally works for you! I know so many people have said it has changed their lives so who knows. Try it out, and if you don't like it, return it...!

      And you're welcome c:

      Delete
  2. I have over time considered buying a Clarisonic or some other version. But I could never bring myself to spend that much money on one. Plus, the thoughts of using a brush on my face like that are a little scary!

    Great review!

    Carol | Bitten Glam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so expensive ;-;
      I've also heard good things about the Olay brush, which does, I guess, the same thing as the Clarisonic for a fraction of the price.

      It is a bit scary! I mean, if you've already got perfect skin, why bother tampering with something new! You never do know if it'll irritate your skin or not.

      Thanks! c:

      Delete
  3. haha i totally thought of princess mia when i read it! and it's a bit too expensive for me, but it sounds like it does a really good job!

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nickname was inevitable :D

      And yeah, it does a great job up to a certain extent, in my opinion

      Delete
  4. Ehm...I did't understand what is it....sorry --'''
    but the fireworks are GREAT ;)

    I’m following your blog on GFC and bloglovin.

    Would you like to follow each other?

    I hope you’ll visit my blog too.

    xoxo
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I can't think of any better way to explain it than it being a 'giant electric toothbrush" for your face. It basically deep cleanses and gently exfoliates the skin.

      I LOVE THE FIREWORKS TOO.

      And yes, I've visited followed your blog :>

      Delete
  5. I have been reading reviews and watching YouTube videos on the Clarisonic for weeks... I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy it soon. Great detailed post!

    Sarah
    Eyeshadow Addicts Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works wonders for you!

      & Thanks! :>

      Delete
  6. i really want one!

    dont forget to enter my RiRi Woo Giveaway Here

    from Brigitte at BreezeyBee Blog | BlogLovin' | Twitter

    xoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check out the giveaway!

      Delete
  7. Great review. I really want a Clarisonic. I have been putting it of because like you said its really expensive. It will be my future purchase. : I looove the fireworks! :) Oh and I am following you on bloglovin. :)

    www.muslimahluvsmakeup.blogspot.com my name in bloglovin is muslimahluvsmakeup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is an investment in skincare for some people.

      Thanks! I've also followed you back via bloglovin! :>

      Delete
  8. I honestly think people hyped it up so much because it looks so 'technical' and unique. It didn't do much for my skin either.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank god someone agrees with my results. But to be fair, I think you already have gorgeous skin ;)

      Delete