Squeaky Clean! {Brush Cleaning}

(Wow, so innovative! Another guide on how to clean brushes! -sarcasm-) (PEOPLE, I'M TRYING HERE)

Anyone who owns numerous brushes will tell you how much of a hassle it is to clean them--the prep time, cleaning time, the drying time--ain't nobody got time for that!

But you know what I have plenty of time for? TV. Definitely TV. Always TV. Too much TV.

So why not do both? Multitasking ahead!

(Also, I tried to make this highly visual, because 1) it really is THAT easy, and 2) I personally have no attention span, so if I see pictures, I'll be all like 'OUU PICTURES', and I'm pretty sure 97% of you are the same)

Step 1
Gather your materials. You'll need:


Step 2
I like using roughly 1 part oil, 3 parts soap and 3 parts water.

Since I have a few brushes, this is the part where I watch TV. Or a short YouTube video. (TV suggestions, anyone?)

Step 3
Squeeze excess water from the brush into sink, blot excess on towel, and lay flat to dry. (Sadly, this is the step with no more TV)

Rinse out our bowl and cup.

Step 4
Cozy. 
I don't have brush guards to leave it in a vertical position, so I'll leave it like this for a few minutes before putting the brushes back into the brush case. 

Extra/Final Thoughts
- I scoff at anyone who buys brush cleansers from the store because you could easily use this combination of oil, soap and water for PENNIES, PEOPLE, PENNIES! (Basically, I'm cheap)

- I actually started using oil for brush cleaning because my Revlon Colorstay refused to budge off the brush during cleansing. Say goodbye to long-wearing foundations stuck on brushes! (I mean, olive oil also helps 'condition the brushes', but yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)

- Please, for the love of llamas, don't store your brushes upright (you know, with the hair facing the ceiling). I cringe everytime I see this because all the dust falls back onto your brushes. 

- Can you tell I love brightly coloured household items?

- Also, I AM SEEING JT/JAY-Z AT THE ACC  ROGERS CENTRE TMRW AWW YISS.

- Also, does anyone play 'The Simpsons: Tapped Out'? I'm currently ridiculously obsessed with this game, so if you play, add me at: 'ewvanessa'! 

27 comments

  1. Thank you sooo much for the follow,dear.^^
    Follow you back on bloglovin and gfc,too.
    Do you also follow me on gfc?
    Lovely greets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of using an actual towel to roll my brushes up in. Usually I just roll them up in paper towel when I clean them. Either by themselves or in groups of two-three. But next time I'm going to use a towel! Should work so much better!

    Carol | Bitten Glam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be honest it doesn't really matter whether you use paper towels or a towel, so long as you get your brushes clean!

      I just use a towel because I already go through so many tissues; trying to reduce my environmental impact here! ;)

      Delete
  3. wow this post was super useful since I'm pretty rubbish at cleaning my brushes - definitely going to try the soapy oily water mixture next time! also I love your blog, it's soo funny - definitely following :)
    zara
    x

    lavieenrose-xo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rubbish at cleaning y brushes too--I rarely clean them and when they get dirty, I try to avoid using them instead of cleaning them T_T

      Thank you! I've also followed back (because I enjoy/love it :3)

      Delete
  4. I'm so bad about storing and cleaning my brushes >.> Nifty post though :) New follower! Will be looking forward to reading your future posts!
    <3 Pauline, Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, to be honest ._.''
      #FirstWorldProblems LOLJK

      Thank you! I've also followed back, and I also look forward to reading new posts! C:

      Delete
  5. Oh many thanks for share how clean your brushes!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just deep cleaned all my brushes last night and it literally took over an hour. I shouldn't wait so long to wash them all!! I've never wrapped them in a towel... that is a genius idea. I'm waaaaay too cheap to buy brush guards for all of them.

    Follow for a follow? JUST KIDDING! ;) Thank you for your comment on that subject... I see you are a victim to such a comment on this very post. When will people learn? :)

    Sarah
    Eyeshadow Addicts Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!D:
      You must have a lot of brushes! But at the same time, if washing my brushes takes a while, I like to sit down and watch some TV :3 (mulitassssk~)

      Yeah, I find wrapping them in a towel is actually a great way to hold up vertically!

      I LAUGHED WAY TOO HARD WHEN I SAW THE LAST SECTION OF YOUR COMMENT, UGH. Sigh, one of the cons on the blogger community, I'm afraid

      Delete
  7. "OUU PICTURES" Lol totally true!! I must go wash my foundation brush! I've had Revlon Colorstay gunk stuck on it for who knows how long ;o; If my brushes could speak they would say that I'm the worst caretaker ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!!! I can never get my Colorstay off my brush with just soap and water alone, which is why oil is so useful in brush cleaning!

      AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME TO CLEAN BRUSHES REGULARLY ;-;(I applaud those who do stick to a brush cleaning schedule though, heh)

      Delete
  8. I dont have brush guards either so I'll definitely do that trick next time!! Thanks for sharing your tips!
    Following you btw :)

    http://itsjessicachoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE'RE TOO CHEAP/LAZY FOR BRUSH GUARDS, HEH XD

      You're welcome! c:

      Delete
  9. And here I've just been drowning my brushes in tap water and hoping for the best...Super helpful post, I've been neglecting washing my brushes for far too long!
    x

    http://www.rougesramblings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I laughed too hard at this--well, I'm glad you found this post helpful! C:

      Delete
  10. oooh i like your cup idea! i have too many brushes lol.

    from Brigitte at // BreezeyBee Blog | BlogLovin'

    dont forget to enter my RiRi Woo Giveaway Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But it's ok--more brushes = more cleaning time = more TV watching time while multitasking c:

      Delete
  11. Wow I literally cleaned my brushes like yesterday and it took foreverrrr for them to dry...I wish I had seen the towel roll thing sooner! Great idea!

    xo Rowan

    leftbrainedlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to prop them up!
      Thanks! C:

      Delete
  12. I never thought of rolling my brushes in a towel!! That is such a great idea. I've tried everything from sticking my brushes with tape on the wall and trying to balance my brush in cup, box, whatever and it took them forever to dry. Plus they were never really clean after all that.

    I enjoyed reading your blog! Will definitely try this out! Love the simple design of your blog!

    I'm your new follower, hope to read more post from you.

    Mind checking out my blog too if you're free?
    Life of Reeneyy [click!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I don't know how I came up with the idea either L O L, but thanks!

      D'aww, thanks! (Even I'm not a fan of my blog, heh)

      I've also followed your blog; I need to branch out and look more at Asian cosmetics!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the idea!
    Before I always washed my brushes in plain water ;w;
    This works way more efficiently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! That'll never get them clean! XD
      Ha, it should work more efficiently! c:

      Delete
  14. Thanks for this idea! I've never tried it before but i'll give it a go thanks!
    beau-tify.blogspot.com
    x
    x
    x

    ReplyDelete