All Eyes on Revlon! {A Revlon Eyeliners Review}


Years ago, a friend of mine said, "Are you one of those Asians that buy Sony everything?" I laughed mainly because I didn't even realise how many Sony products I had at the time--camera, TV, laptop, etc. Fast forward a few years and I never thought I'd end up getting so many Revlon products, especially the Colorstay eyeliners. It was unintentional, and I picked all of these up before I had even started blogging.

But that's not the point! Revlon seems to produce the best drugstore quality products, and today I'll be reviewing their automatic liner (Colorstay Eyeliner) (which I also talked about here), their liquid eyeliner (Liquid Eye Pen), and their gel liner (Creme Gel Eyeliner).


Hello swatches!

The automatic liner and the cream/gel liner isn't the blackest of the black with one swipe, but I personally have no issue with that. Smooth and does it's job.

The liquid liner comes in a stiff felt tip pen, which makes it easy to control the thickness of the line. Very black ink leaves a crisp finish that doesn't bleed.

The cream/gel liner is a very creamy grey-black, comes with a brush and is easy to apply. There is a very subtle amount of sparkle in this product, which I had never noticed in my 3 years of owning this product until I did a hand swatch ._.
Also, I kid you not, their cream/gel liner smells like COCONUTS (or Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen) (It may just be me though, since I've yet to find anyone who thinks it also smells like coconuts...YES, I like smelling products don't laugh ;-;)
________________________________________________________
Nothing like having liners endure some hard work, so here is a smudge test, because curse those eyelashes that fall into your eye from time to time, resulting in a smudging hassle ಠ_ಠ


Oh boy. ._.''

You poor, poor liquid liner.

Can't say too much about the gel/cream liner, it did hold up pretty well considering it's creamy consistency.

And again, the automatic liner clings like iron.
________________________________________________________

"BABY WON'T YOU TELL ME WHY, THERE IS SADNESS IN YOUR EYES" Sorry, been serenading my dog with that song all day--but you get the drift--it's a tear/water test


Eyeliner gods HAVE MERCY ON THIS LIQUID LINER WHY??!

Ink literally ran off into the sink in a heartbeat.

The other two liners still held up pretty well with a small amount of water applied with rubbing/smudging motions though. There still is some additional smudging, but nothing significant and extremely noticeable.
________________________________________________________
EDIT: THIS IS WHY I'M NOT A SCIENTIST, I make conclusions without finishing/trying all possibilities, damnit Vanessa.
The automatic eyeliner can actually be built up pretty dark, and I've compared it to my other black eyeliner, the Rimmel Soft Kohl liner, as well as the super dark liquid eye pen.

Final Thoughts/Comments

- Damnit Revlon, you did a terrible job with the liquid liner. Which is a shame too because this liner is so incredibly easy to use. Unfortunately it smudges, is definitely not waterproof, and goes crazy on my oily lids. -sigh-

- The gel/cream liner is fabulous, and I personally like the brush + glass packaging, but if you're after the blackest of the black gel liner, skip this one.

- Today I found out if you do two layers of the automatic liner, you can get a pretty decent black instead of just a grey-black achieved with one swipe as seen in the photos above. EDIT: Actually goes pretty dark!

- Also totally unrelated, but I found out Facebook has Pusheen the Cat conversation stickers and now I can't stop using them

Sorry not sorry.

Anyways, I hope you found this post interesting? Insightful?....lousy? Either way, suckers, you got to the end of this post HAHAHAHAHA.

38 comments

  1. Great post! I'm a revlon hoarder too, everytime I go to Superdrug, I end up with something from revlon! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn them and their usually good quality products :(

      Delete
  2. This was such a great post :') you had me chuckling the whole way through, honestly love your writing style so much ^_^
    Its a shame the liquid liner didn't survive the tests very well, it looked so black!
    The Blushing Giraffe | A new UK beauty blog
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ಠᴗಠ
      It's like a comedy club up in here loljk ._.''

      Yeah, it's a shame because the ink really really black, and it's so easy to use!

      Delete
  3. i thought i was the only one who had a bad experience with the revlon liquid liner. it smudge and faded really quickly when i swatched it on my hand. do you have any suggestions for a good liquid liner? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfortunately don't :(

      All the liquid liners I pick up are crap LOL
      But I've heard plenty of good things about the Kat Von D one, except it is a bit pricey for me.

      Delete
    2. haha most of the ones i tried are bad too. except for kpalette but its around PHP900.00 and i was hoping to find something lower than that. ill check out kat von d :) thanks vanessa!

      Delete
  4. I had tried the Revlon liquid liner and was not impressed *_*
    I suggest you try Maybelline's master precise liner or Sephora's 12 hr liner. I nominated you for the Versatile Award :3

    http://punkyandbubblesbeauty.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame, because I loved it at first until I found out it smudged!

      Thank you!! ʘ‿ʘ ♥

      Delete
  5. I'm on the hunt for a stay on eyeliner for my lower lids. The ones I've been using kept smudging on me now after a change in formula. Does the revlon pencil liner stay well on the lower lids? Have you tried it on the lower lids? Thanx in advance! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it on my inner rim and lower lids/lash line today [heh, just for you ;)], and it's not very pigmented and long lasting on the lower rims, and it does smudge a bit on the lower lash line, but it is minimal, unnoticeable smudging.

      But then again my eyes do get pretty watery with all eyeliners (darn sensitive eyes), so this might last longer on your eyes if you don't have sensitive eyes!

      Hope that was helpful? XD

      Delete
  6. To add on. I recently found out that this fat cat that is on tumblr and fb is called the Pusheen cat. Hehe. Are you a cat lover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH! I SEE THIS FAT CAT ON TUMBLR ALL THE TIME AND SKMsakmdsFKLD so cute!

      I like cats, but I have a dog who dislikes/is scared of cats so no cat for me anytime soon, haha. They're so fluffy and adorable though!

      Delete
  7. ahh i'd be tempted to get the automatic one but i'm a sucker for super black eyeliners. And omg yess the pusheen on facebook, I literally never use the standard emoticons anymore, I think my friends are getting pretty annoyed with me sending them after every message though!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, I had to retest the automatic liner to see how dark it would go, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't post this sooner, but I've posted a picture above to show how dark it goes, and it goes pretty dark!

      IT'S OK, IF YOU SEND THOSE EMOTICONS TO ME, I'D NEVER GET ANNOYED/TIRED ;)

      Delete
  8. i have the rimmel version of the gel liner and its the best thing in the world! so disapointed with revlon, but then again revlon arent really my go to brand ^_^

    from Brigitte at // BreezeyBee Blog | BlogLovin'

    dont forget to enter my RiRi Woo Giveaway Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised Rimmel had exact same packaging as the Revlon one! Maybe I'll give the Rimmel one a go after I finish mine up c:

      Delete
  9. OOO, awesome post! Such a shame about the liquid liner, though. What's your favourite liquid eye liner?
    I went through a stage of using just gel eye liner, but man - they dry so fast. I feel like I can use them really well for a week or tow, as they go on very smoothly, but once the airs gets in they're a nightmare! Not the greatest value for money, are they?
    So I switched back to my liquid liner and I love it. I've been using the Rimmel exaggerate since I was 15 and I always come back to it, having been failed by other liners :)


    Aggie
    http://lawyerlives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And haha, I don't have a favourite liquid liner...yet!

      Oh that's a shame--I've had my Revlon gel liner for about 3 years now! I always make sure to seal it real tight, but I know packaging and texture of the liner can either prolong or shorten the life of a gel liner!

      I've heard great things about the Rimmel Exaggerate liner too! Everyone keeps recommending me that liner, so maybe I'll pick that up next!

      Delete
  10. Wow the watertest was amazing this is a really good gel eyeliner. Now I want purchase this product. Your review is very detailed many thanks for that.
    xx

    Join to my Giveaway for Win an Etude House CC

    Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a shame, I wanted to try the liquid liner but I have oily eyelids :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both :(

      I find primers also really help liners stay on longer!

      Delete
  12. Hahahaha I love how you were able to make a makeup review hilarious!! :D
    http://dharapatelio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog photo's are taken in such a fab way!

    www.lululisaly.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a shame that the products aren't the greatest! Guess when I'm running out of my liquid liner, this one I will steer clear from! Thanks for the review dear!
    <3 Pauline, ­­Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Revlon did terrible with this one.

      You're welcome! c:

      Delete
  15. Do you have any recommendations on a good pencil eyeliner that is pigmented and smudgeproof? :)

    http://ncboodah.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think Revlon's automatic liner does the job! It's pigmented and it only goes south after 7+ hours of wear. Another option I like are the NYX Slide on Liners, and I've also heard good things about the Milani's Liquif'eye pencils!

      Delete
  16. What a great insightful post! I loved the detail review.
    MISSY IN THE MIRROR

    ReplyDelete
  17. That liquid eyeliner pen was the first eyeliner I ever tried! Needless to say I hate it with a passion. I live in Washington where it rains all the time!!! I need my eyeliner to be waterproof haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, you would expect Revlon to product better things than this, eh? My first pencil liner turned out to be one I also hate with a burning passion, haha!

      I think everyone needs their liner to be waterproof--it has to last all day on the eye! ;)

      Delete
  18. I've been through two of your posts and I've subscribed! You're hilarious and manage to get your point across! I've been using the Revlon Automatic Pencil Liner and I love it! Can't wait to see more posts from you! xx

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you so much! :D

      Yeah, the automatic pencil is my go to liner when I need a pencil black liner c:

      Delete