Do You Need That Eyeshadow Primer? YOU DOoOoOOo [A Comparison of Sorts]{Caution: Scary Eye Charts Ahead}

FIRST OFF, Lillian of Mascaradise recently created a FB page to unite beauty bloggers, so check it out, and more information about the page here! (Basically a group for bloggers to ask various q's about blogging, communicate with each other, etc)


More than often, people will tell you to put on an eyeshadow primer when working with eyeshadows, otherwise "don't even bother", but I've always wondered to which degree they work. Also, we can't forget to factor in the amount of oil your lid produces, weather/environment, eye rubbing, longevity claims of eyeshadows, etc! Wayyyy too many variables, and I usually end up slapping it on 'just in case'.

I actually have a weird habit of only putting eyeshadow (sans primer) on one eye when I'm experimenting with eye makeup, and walking/lounging around the house like that for the rest of my day, so when my mom sprang the idea of going to the mall on me last weekend, I flipped because 1) I only had eyeshadow on one eye, and 2) I had just finished washing my brushes. UHM, HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO PUT AND BLEND DIFFERENT EYESHADOW SHADES ON WITH WET BRUSHES??!!/1/?? (...Don't answer that)

But then I smelled opportunity (actually, that would be a fantastic perfume name....right?). An opportunity to compare having an eyeshadow primer on versus no primer, and so voilà, accidental post, BAM! I'll also be comparing Urban Decay's 'Primer Potion' against Lorac's 'Behind the Scenes', because you know I love me some comparison posts.



___________________________________________________________________
(Eyeshadow work is not my forté ;-;) (Also, even I am creeped out by these eye charts :<)

Since I had wet brushes, the intensity of the eyeshadows was more dramatic, and since Urban Decay's 'Primer Potion' neutralized my lids, the colours on the primed eye was more vibrant.

Creasing, fading and smudging, yayyyyyyyy!

The black eyeshadow I used to line my lids on the 'no primer' side has faintly made it's way up to my crease, and there's definitely less shimmer/more fade compared to the primed eye.

UDPP, for the most part, keeps the various shades intact, and there is barely any fading, smudging and creasing.
___________________________________________________________________

So you need a primer. But which to choose? 
Unfortunately, my broke status only managed to snag two primers, Urban Decay's 'Primer Potion' and Lorac's 'Behind the Scenes', so we'll make do with that, 'kay?


Swatches!


Of course, both primers have their pros and cons. 


LIGHTING DIFFERENCES ARE THE ACTUAL WORST ;-;

You can see how UDPP neutralizes my entire lids in the chart, but overall, I think they both do their job wonderfully--no smudging of eyeshadows onto the lower lash line, as well as minimal creasing and fading. 

 If I had to choose, I would probably have to pick Lorac's 'Behind the Scenes' over UDPP, just because it is a better value, is smoother and significantly easier to blend (sometimes I'll have to apply extra pressure to smooth out UDPP's chunks), has less harsh ingredients (I have sensitive eyes, so no sulfates and parabens is a plus!), and just feels lighter on the lids because of it's thin consistency. Also, with both primers, a little goes a long way, so I'm grateful I won't have to be repurchasing Lorac's BTS for a long while!

But you know, as a general thumb, eyeshadow primers are eyeshadow primers--their basic job is to keep eyeshadow in place all day, so you really don't need anything fancy to do the job! If it's cheap and works, go for it!
___________________________________________________________________
I just realised this post is probably less humourous than usual...or is it just me? WELP, ANYWAYS, YOU GOT TO THE END OF THIS POST, YAY (Unless you just skimmed all the way to the end, like what I normally do with academic/scholarly articles ._. [shhh....])

What eyeshadow primers do you guys use? ʘ‿ʘ

24 comments

  1. Omg thank you for the review! I'm always wondering if primer is even necessary (I have the UD one), and I just use it "just because". I guess there really is a reason ahahha. I'd probably stick to the UD for now, because there is just so much damn product in that tube! *__* (Plus I have my mini size one, from the Naked palette, arguhh)

    On another note, LOL - I seriously do the same with academic articles! Intro and conclusion, that is what I read muahahha... ugh. All of it looks like gibberish and my brain just literally melts.

    BTW - I think we have a similar blog-post time schedule LOLOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! c:
      Yeah, it's like slapping on sunscreen--you always question if it works, but the other day I go sunburned because I didn't slap some sunscreen in some spots ._.''
      Yeah! UD isn't too bad, and if it does it's job, keep using it!

      OH MAN, I'M SO GUILTY OF DOING THAT WITH ACADEMIC PAPERS, IT'S SO SHAMEFUL LOL
      YEAH, I THINK WE DO TOO LOL (Midnight, usually on Monday & Friday, sometimes Wednesday?)(Great minds think somewhat alike? :D)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the comparison review Vanessa! I've only used the UD primer and I know what you mean by the chunks. I do agree that my shadows last longer with primer than w/o. I actually use the UD primer in Sin which is a shimmery champagne color and it's great cause I don't bother with shadow when I'm feeling lazy but I still have some color on my eyes XD

    Rena & I thank for your sweet comment today!!
    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I got a bad batch of UDPP because of the weird chunks! It does require a little more effort to blend in those blobs, haha.

      Oooh, I haven't swatched sin yet, but that's a brilliant idea! c:

      And you're welcome! (except I accidentally double posted)

      Delete
  3. I like how you structured your post, very neat? clean? GOOD! A really informative review!
    When I do a full eyeshadow look I'll use the GOSH eye primer, it's not all that but it's the only one I gat.

    I was stalking your blog the other day and happened upon a primer post. THAT TITLE - "DO SHE GOT THAT PRIMER? SHE DOoOOo" OUTSTANDING. Felt like you brought it back. I appreciate.

    pippa-love.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you??? (LOLwhat)

      I didn't even know GOSH made an eyeshadow primer, mainly because IS IT WEIRD I DONT LIKE THEIR FONT/PACKAGING? LIKE 'I HAVE GOSH ON MY EYES' idk it sounds weird. But yeah, I need to find more drugstore primers!

      O thx 4 stalking my blog. I feel like my blog gets progressively less funny the further you go back LOLOL. But yeah, I didn't know what to name this post so yeah ._.''

      Delete
  4. Very very nice post!!

    Lonneke X

    Lonnekeeez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was brilliant Vanessa!
    yeah I've also realised primers for le eyes are a lot more useful than most face primers. The pictures were great too! time/light differences are a pain but the difference was actually clear enough, really useful!
    Wish we got brands like Lorac here D: also wish we got samples more easier D: (ok ok enough moaning xD)

    I actually love just using an MUA one which is around £2.50 and it works pretty nicely, but I was just thinking the other day to do a drugstore eye primer comparison! (great minds x))

    also you were still funny :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      YEAH, WITH EYESHADOW PRIMERS YOU ACTUALLY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE! I think it might be because the colours are vastly different from skin colour, so you actually notice a difference...

      NO, DO A DRUGSTORE EYE PRIMER COMPARISON! I'd love to see that! (but yes, great minds :D)
      Thanks again! :D

      Delete
  6. wait...you mean people read more than the intro and conclusion....? well at least b/c of my science background it was useful to read the methods too

    and i actually think primer is hella useful! otherwise fallout city right? or just eyeshadows not looking as awesome. i cant believe you sacrificed your precious dollars to buy two primers at once just to do this post. that is dedication and you should get a standing ovation.

    in other news. have been using the nars primer and actually quite like it. it doesn't chunk up like the UD one does.
    jenn

    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it depends on the article! :( (I'll actually skip the methods/raw data in a science journal LOL ;-;)

      Yeah, eyeshadow primer is hella more useful than regularface primers, I find.
      Actually, the UDPP was a 100 pt perk from Sephora and the Lorac primer came with their Pro palette...so do I still get that standing ovation? LOLjk (I mean, I still spent money LOL)

      I haven't tried the nars primer yet! But the wand kinda makes me step back because sanitation

      Delete
  7. agreed, eye primer is a must!

    http://only4feet9.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried the UD one and it is great!

    http://heydahye.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your review. I know how much effort is put into taking photos of close-ups, before and after, product 1 and product 2 etc. Not easy.

    UDPP and Too Faced Shadow Insurance are often compared with from where I come from. The TFSI sounds just like Lorac. It's thinner and easier to blend. I find UDPP very cakey and difficult to blend. Only after warming it a little with my fingers do I find it easier to blend. I used the wand version from long time ago. The newer squeeze tube version you have seems to have an even thicker consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you for understanding! Especially with lighting differences too @_@
      I managed to swatch Too Faced the other day, and I have to say it isn't quite as smooth as Lorac, in my opinion! But yeah, UDPP is very thick. I might try warming it up next time, thanks!

      Delete
  10. Amazing post!Your blog is lovely!!!! Would you like to follow each other on bloglovin' ? xxx
    Gleaming Spire // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great comparison. I've always wanted to try these two primers. I don't use eyeshadow primer as much anymore (I don't have time in the morning!! =A=;;), but my NYX HD primer keeps my eyeshadow from creasing and disappearing on my oily lids! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, when I tried to think of all the drugstore eyeshadow primers, all I could think of was Wet N Wild's! I didn't know NYX made one, but thanks for the heads up! :D

      Delete
  12. Great post ! I use an elf eye primer and I love it !

    Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (Where do you even get elf in Canada besides Winners? Or did you pick it up in the States?)

      Delete
  13. im so happy you used UDPP because i have it aaaaand im so sad that it lost to Lorac haha. now im tempted to get Lorac when my UDPP is all used up, which i think is going to be soon. always i appreciate you experimental posts vanessa :D and that obama not bad meme made me laugh hahaha! youredabest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like UDPP still though! It was my first primer, but the consistency is just...weird LOL.

      Haha, thanks so much! :D

      Delete
  14. Awesome review as always!!! I used to love UDPP until I realized it was drying out my eyelids... yes you read that right... drying out my freaking eyelids, and I can't think of anything worse than dry, peeling eyelids... so I had to go back to MAC Paint Pots :)

    Sarah
    Eyeshadow Addicts Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Whoah, I didn't know a primer could dry out your eyelids! o_o That's insane...

      Well, with the MAC Paint Pots, at least you have a coloured base to work with! I haven't tried them out, but if they work as a great base for you, I'll have to consider getting one!

      Delete