Favourite High End Makeup vs. Favourite Drugstore Makeup {Caution: An Excess of Selfies}


The other week, I randomly thought to myself, "You know what would be fun? Having drugstore makeup on one half of my face, and high end on the other to compare quality and longevity. Yeahhhhhhhhh........that would be the bomb diggity ʘ‿ʘ" (...I obviously have no sense of 'fun'). 

So I finally found time this Monday to do just that...and even though taking selfies is the actual worst for me, I braced myself and did it. You know, for reasons 'science'. 

On a serious note though, I really do feel like the quality gap between high end and drugstore makeup is narrowing, which is fantastic because it makes quality items more affordable. But it got me thinking, why do we even pay for high end items anymore? Which items are worth it? And while my high end makeup collection isn't quite extensive, I set out to compare my favourites from both high end and drugstore categories against each other. 


Here's what I used for high end (not pictured - Benefit's 'Coralista'): 


And for drugstore:


Did you guys notice I didn't use eyeliner? Because I totally forgot, but I went 'eh' because the darker eyeshadows 'lined' my eyes anyways.

Swatches are fun (lolnotrly,justryingtobecomprehensivehere)



I tried to get the colours as similar as possible, BUT OBVIOUSLY I DID A PISS POOR JOB. With the blushes I thought, 'OK CORAL, BOTH ARE CORAL IN THE PAN, LET'S GO'. Obviously, from the swatches above, they are two different types of corals, yikes.



Brace yo'selves, selfies ahead.

Also, guess what? I realised I forgot to apply something after I took most of my selfies. Can you guess what I forgot?

...Mascara.

Selfies fear/lack of mascara/lots of hair flyaways horror face.
__________________________________________________________
Alright, 11:30 AM selfies, let's do this.


This photo makes me cringe...also, OOPS, CHAPPED LIPS o_o'' 
Love how one cheek is significantly more orange than the other, yikes. The difference in eyeshadows turned out to be not so prominent!

UGH, 6:30 PM SELFIES ARE HOT MESS. 
(Especially if your day consists of going to school + downtown trekking)

Not going to lie, this eye chart is scary. 

__________________________________________________________

Observation Time!

I decided not to use an eyeshadow primer for this experiment because 1) I don't have a drugstore eyeshadow primer, 2) I figured I'd just use white eyeshadow as a base to brighten up the other shades, and 3) I wanted to see how both brands would both hold up without it!

The taupe in the Wet N Wild is stunning and I vastly prefer the shades and texture in the Wet N Wild trio over the Lorac shadows. Unfortunately, the Wet N Wild shadows transfer onto the lower lash line much easily compared to Lorac. You can see that more of the Wet N Wild dark eyeshadow has transferred onto the lower lash line compared to Lorac. However, both also have creased and faded on the lid!

I don't know, I feel like this is a toss-up! Though, I'm definitely using an eyeshadow primer next time!

As for concealer, my camera sucks and really can't pick this up, but both my high end concealers really like caking up and fading on me by the end of the day! I also have oily skin, which results in me blotting throughout the entire day, which means removing a bit of concealer. 

Olay x Covergirl's Concealer Balm is a really creamy stick concealer, and it gives me a lovely dewy finish while my NARS and Benefit concealers are on the matte side. Both end up slightly cakey by the end of the day, but my high end concealers end up absolutely terrifying, and I would definitely choose my drugstore concealer (especially considering the prices of the high end ones!)


As for blush, I do feel like they do stand on equal ground. Both did fade during the 7 hours without touch-ups (?do people touch up blush??), and both shades are equally gorgeous (though I am leaning towards the Coralista shade--it's just so pink and pretty!). The only qualm I have about Coralista is it's pigmentation, as I did have to build it up a bit more just because it's such a light coloured blush. I'll take both my drugstore and high end blush! (I mean, price point for the high end blush could be better, but the fact that 'Luminoso' still held up throughout the day does speak about it's quality and longevity)
__________________________________________________________
Yeah, my nose is huge ._.'' Blerg, it's a shame I forgot to use my drugstore and high end mascaras for this, that could've been interesting. 

Should I do another round of this in the distant future? Say with less ratchet hair? Say winter, with foundations, liquid concealers and eyeliners? I figured since it was still summer, I'd keep products to a minimum, haha. 

Anyways, I hope you found this post interesting/informative/disturbing! I had to resist cleaning up the eyeshadow smudges 'til I got home, which was a tad bit embarrassing! See you next post! ʘ‿ʘ





I'm sorry but this is my favourite picture of myself of all time, can't even deny.

41 comments

  1. Love the Wet n Wild Trio in Silent Treatment! I don't touch up my blush at all, ain't nobody got time for that! XD But yay for comparisons :D I do find that blush stays on really well if you have a good base such as a foundation. Concealers are always pesty to deal with, I have a hard time having it not cake on me by the end of the day -.- Still need to get the Covergirl & Olay concealer... XD Would love to see more of your posts like this dear, this was a lot of fun to read :D As seen by my tweet ;)
    <3 Pauline, ­­Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Wet N WIld Trio is just an all around winner, imo ʘ‿ʘ

      I dunno, I've been using stick concealers for too long, I don't remember if liquid concealers cake up on me or not! What form do you use?

      Hehe, thanks! Though not sure what to compare next XD (heh, tweeting is more fun/gets to know people better imo!)

      Delete
    2. I have mainly have liquid or creme concealers; Bobbi Brown Corrector, Covergirl and Olay Simply Ageless Concealer, Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch and my only non liquid concealer the Bare Minerals Well Rested. Obviously I don't use all of those on my face everyday, but those are what I rotate around! I find that the more I blend it out and the more finely milled the powder I use to set it, the less likely it will cake on me.

      Twitter is much more fun to get to know people ^_^ Totally enjoying our twitter convos :D

      Delete
    3. I had one liquid concealer and I threw it out, so I think it's time to pick up some more! ;)

      I should pick up the Covergirl and Olay Simply Ageless Concealer, Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch, just because I feel like these are really well loved products! It'll be a nice place to start :)

      Same! :D (humour errwhere)

      Delete
  2. Great post Vanessa! Love the little face on the blush haha! x

    Lucy: lucys lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! THAT'S MY FAVOURITE BIT TOO--THE FACE IS JUST TOO CUTE :D

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! By the way I nominated you from the Liebster Award because I love your blog and I really hope you do it! (Liebster Award)

      Delete
  3. Such a brilliant post! You can really see that drugstore are fast catching up those highenders! I adore the look of the wet n wild and wish we had it easily accessible here in the uk :(
    also your selfies are beautiful! forever jealous of people who can pull faces (D:) and STILL look good/cute/pretty :')
    I think the winter edition would be brilliant :)
    The Blushing Giraffe | A New Uk Beauty Blog
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a shame they don't have Wet N Wild in the UK (-coughcoughbloggerswap-

      Selfies make me super self conscious, and I think I look better pulling funny faces than taking 'serious' shots, haha! But thank you! c:

      Yeah same! I'll do a winter version when I'm freezing cold outside with snow hitting my face, heh XD

      Delete
  4. Yes!!! I LOOVE drugstore/highend comparison/dupe posts! I love makeup with a burning passion, but this little hobby is quite expensive, so stuff like this is always helpful for a college girl with an obsession. Seriously, my makeup collection is riding on drugstore reward points right now.
    Anyways, it's amazing how similar the Lorac and Wet n' Wild looks are. The Lorac palette does look a tiny but more pigmented, but if I didn't know this was a comparison, I wouldn't have noticed any difference.
    As for concealers, I haven't tried stick concealers but I swear by Maybelline's Dream Lumi Highlighting Concealer. Have you tried it? It's a drugstore gem!
    Thanks for the great post!

    -Lillian at Mascaradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys in the States are lucky--we barely have drugstores with points programs, and the only one that does has overpriced items! @_@
      Yeah, I really had to add in a lot of lighter shades to get them to 'kinda' match on the eye, but the Lorac was still a bit darker!

      I've heard everyone raving about the Dream Lumi concealer, but I feel weird because I wear glasses and they practically cover my entire eye area up, so what if nobody notices the ~highlighting effect~? LOL. I'll still probably give it a try though, since it's so popular!

      Delete
  5. I keep hearing about Wet N Wild eyeshadows being quite good and I'll have to check them out. The shades in your Silent treatment palette look very wearable. Your selfies are adorable! I esp. love the one where you're expressing mock horror :) And your glasses are fab too!

    I haven't tried the SK-II mask yet but for that hefty price tag, I'm expecting a small miracle XD

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At $3 (or less than that), you really can't go wrong! Haha, thanks--that mick horror one has to be my favourite picture of myself in a very long while c:

      Yeah, I feel like that mask is reserved for 'special occasions' only, especially with that price tag LOL

      Delete
  6. What a cool idea, an enjoyable read! [claps.claps.claps.claps]
    BUT, I ENVY THOSE HANDS AND EYELIDS THAT HAVE TOUCHED A WET AND WILD PALETTE!
    Love the look of the Milani blush on you. But again, the envy seethes within. The pond that separates our lands. NEMESIS *shakes fists*

    pippa-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! c:
      GET YOUR BUTT TO AMERICA ONE DAY AND DO A WET N WILD HAUL [or you know, a bloggerswap ;)]

      Yeah, now that I look at it, Milani is actually quite a gorgeous colour on the cheeks!

      Anytime anyone says 'Nemesis' I am reminded of the Agatha Christie novel....(totes random)

      Delete
    2. You had me at BUTT!!
      I've nominated you for a liebster award!
      http://pippa-love.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/liebster-award.html?showComment=1376594993952

      Would lurvee to see you answers to my questions if you choose to do it.. or not its cooh.
      :)

      Delete
  7. I really, really loved your post and the whole idea of it. I would really like to see this taken to the next level with the mascaras and foundations. Overall great post, love your humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely be doing that in the future! :D

      Delete
  8. I love this post and the pictures! :)

    Your writing style is such a breath of fresh air! I agree that the drugstore brands are catching up to high end products, but there are a few exceptions. I really want to try that Lorac Pro Palette!

    Sarah
    Eyeshadow Addicts Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ʘ‿ʘ
      Yeah, there are a few exceptions, especially considering ingredients, but knowing which items are worth it is always nice c:

      Lorac Pro is a lovely palette--it's extremely versatile!

      Delete
  9. You did a GREAT job with the eyes! Although apparently Luminoso is a dupe for NARS Orgasm - i dont have the milani one so cant compare:) great job!
    http://erinandkatherine.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I've heard so many comparisons to NARS orgasm, but I don't have NARS, so I can't compare either, haha!

      Delete
    2. Haha between the two of us we should be able to come up with a comparision;)

      Delete
    3. You guys totally should! I'd love to read a post like that! :D

      Delete
  10. GREAT POST, i HAVE THE LORAC PALETTE IS ONE OF MY FAV :)
    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/2013/08/summer-fav-with-sheinside.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very cool comparison!! And I think you did a great job with it :)
    http://dharapatelio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol you're awesome. i know what you mean i feel like the gap is closing to but i'm still drawn into the overly expensive brand name products (not that i ever have enough money to buy them anyways)
    and HELLO LORAC PALETTE> i've been lusting after that mofo for so long and salaciously pawing it at sephora i may as well commit already to a life long relationship with the palette...
    jenn

    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! And same...I blame Sephora's intense store lighting, amazing/gorgeous high end packaging and basically wanting to own items of high value just for conspicuous consumption/because they're expensive ._. ...

      LOL TREAT YO SELF- perhaps as a birthday present to yourself? ;)

      Delete
  13. really nice ! maybe we can follow each other? let me know! <3 http://exality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny and I really liked the idea of this post!
    Jennifer
    Nature With Nurture

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post! its awesome to see that lower end makeup brands are just as good as their higher priced counter parts. thanks for sharing.

    x
    http://1finedai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you're welcome! High end brands need to step up their game! c:

      Delete
  16. hahah first of all, i love your selfies picture :) i really appreciate you doing this kind of review comparison. as i find it rare to find girls who actually take time to write this detailed review/experiment. i really like the milano blush color on you. ive never tried that blush but ill make sure to write it on my wishlist.

    also i have a question :) which is better nars or benefit concealers? im going to have to purchase a new concealer 2 weeks from now. im choosing between benefit boing , benefit erase, the new nars concealers. :D thanks in advance <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! And eh, it's probably just a sign I have too much free time LOLjk ._.

      I haven't tried Benefit's erase paste, but I find Boi-ing is a heavy duty concealer that will crease on wrinkles, so I think it's better suited for covering specific blemishes. I find it looks cakey if I try to conceal a large area with it, so definitely better suited for small, intensely pigmented spots.

      I haven't tried NARS' new concealer (creamy radiant or something?) but I have heard really fantastic things about it!

      Delete
  17. Thank you for doing all of the swatches it was really helpful, also love the selfies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow this was another one of your great ideas! It was really interesting to see how they compared to each other, guess I'll be sticking with my cheap old make up forever then :) ha ha loving the selfies and the lopsided blusher.. maybe it will catch on soon? love this post, thanks Vanessa!!
    zara
    x

    lavieenrose-xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you!
      Yeah, most of the time I get sad because high end makeup is already so expensive so I'm like, 'QUALITY BETTER BE WORTH IT!1!!!!'

      Delete