Review: Clinique 'High Impact' Mascara {+Birthday Bits!}


Confession: my eyes can't tolerate eye makeup. :(

.....yeah that's probably important to know.

OK OK, WELL, for the longest time I would blame my three year old mascaras (DON'T JUDGE ;-;) for the redness it would cause my eyes, but when I finally tried new mascaras (Almay, Maybelline, Rimmel, Benefit, Guerlain, e.g), the results were still the same--red, irritated eyes after a few hours.

I recently told a friend about this situation (hi Iriss!), and she asked if high end mascaras made a difference. I said it didn't, but after that, I randomly decided to re-try using Clinique's 'High Impact' mascara for a day.

And you know what?

Huzzah, minimal redness! :D

(Oh yeah, birthday dinner photos and the whole shebang under the cut!)
_________________________________________________________________



This tube is actually a sample size I got with a Clinique purchase. The actual, full sized mascara retails for $19. This mascara does not claim to be waterproof. The formula is wet, and applies with a bristle brush.
_________________________________________________________________

Eye charts!

I used Almay's waterproof version of 'Get Up and Grow', one of my favourite mascaras, to compare against 'High Impact' to demonstrate the volume, length, longevity, i.e. overall peformance and effect both mascaras have on my eye.

Almay's line is also designed specifically for sensitive eyes, so this gives you an idea of how sensitive my eyes are.


Don't ask me why I only did one coat of Almay. I don't know, man. Also, I am tres terrible at putting mascara on. :(((((

And truth be told, the Almay one looks better in my opinion :( (WHICH IS WHY IT'S ONE OF MY FAVOURITE MASCARAS)

But as you'll see, I can't wear Almay 'GUAG' for extended periods!


Alright, not sure if you can tell, but both eyes are slightly red (I'm not on drugs, I swear!). The eye with Almay is a tad bit redder though (You're just going to have to trust me!).

Almay did perform better today, as there is less redness than usual, but it did transfer onto my lower lash line, despite claiming to be waterproof! Clinique does not claim to be waterproof, but it did not transfer onto my lower lash line, and honestly, I've been taking advantage of this! It's not waterproof but it does not budge throughout the day until I'm in the shower! I just hop into the shower with 'High Impact' on and it's gone when I get out. I'M SO LAZY, YOU CAN'T EVEN DENY YOU'D DO THE SAME. It's so hassle free to remove I can't even. 


A very derpy face; overall view of the mascaras. Two coats of 'High Impact' on your left.

TL;DR: CLINIQUE'S 'HIGH IMPACT' IS TRES BIEN/BUENO + ME GUSTA/DA BOMB DIGGITY. Fantastic for my very sensitive eyes and hassle free removal; shame about the $19 CDN price tag though.

Definitely one of my new favourite mascaras, but if you don't have sensitive eyes, I can't tell you how much I love Almay's 'Get Up and Grow'.

SO YEAH. ANYONE ELSE WITH SIMILAR EYE SENSITIVITIES? Have you tried either mascaras? Why haven't you? Any favourite mascaras that you swear by and that I should try? :)
_________________________________________________________________

BIRTHDAY DINNER YAY.

Jacked this photo from ~Iriss~

Special thanks to Iriss for gifting me this Ariel x Sephora compact! I was basically flabbergasted throughout the entire night because I've been lusting this compact since it was announced. Cannot thank her enough!!  CAN WE JUST ADMIRE THIS COMPACT TOGETHER BECAUSE UNF





And of course, wonderfully cheesy cards :')

Thank you to the losers champs that shared my birthday dinner with me, because we definitely made 'memories' (aka. cam whoring in a mall after hours), and I even managed to give chocolate to our waitress, which was a weird thing to do c:

And thanks to you guys who wished me a happy birthday! (Even though it's like, 2 weeks past LOLOL)

ALSO, THIS:


Suggestions on an instagram username? (Pls don't say 'THErealbigsexyV')

YEAH I'M GOING TO LET YOU GUYS GO NOW, BECAUSE I'VE TURNED THIS POST INTO A ~BIRTHDAY~ POST INSTEAD OF A MASCARA POST.


BUT YEAH, ANY MASCARAS I SHOULD TRY?

28 comments

  1. Boo for having such sensitive eyes but I'm glad you've found a mascara that won't trigger your sensitivity. I used to use a Clinique mascara and I think it might've been this one. I remember liking it too but I just hate spending over $10 for mascaras since I have to too them every few months. My current fave is Revlon Lash Potion and I also swear by CG LashBlast 2.

    Happy belated birthday btw! I think LSG & HHJ really must work together again in honor of that ^_^

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sensitive eyes suck :(
      Yeah, but sometimes I cheat and keep mascaras around for longer...much longer ._.''
      I hear lots of lovely things about Lashblast, so maybe I'll try LashBlast 2!

      Thank you! I hope so too! c:

      Delete
  2. The mascara looks natural on your lashes <3

    http://www.gwiyomistyle.net/
    Beauty review, D.I.Y, Beauty Tips and more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh thebigsexyV. ...obvs..how could you /not/ go for that name!

    i'm a bit surprised by the clinique mascara. again, its always a brand i overlook and i'm constantly reminded that i really need to give it a better shot.
    jenn

    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dfsdkfldglfhkljgfjh best name, but people would be all like ~_~ (judgmental)

      Same! I usually steer clear of Clinique facial products, but I really do like this mascara!

      Delete
  4. Both mascaras look lovely and natural! :) xx

    adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! that cake looks delicious! Happy Birthday! Two coats of Almay look so good on you... it looks like your real lashes :D xo Kelly chicnstylishblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (It's actually Clinique ;])

      Thank you!! The cake was delicious! :D

      Delete
  6. The cake looks so tasty! and you look really pretty :') I know I feel the same about highend mascara prices tbh, I hardly wear mascara it's such a faff to remove (darn right I'd just jump in the shower and remove it that way if my mascara wouldn't melt and make me look like I've been punched in both eyes D:)

    The compact is BEAUTIFUL! I'd be the exact same haha :')
    The Blushing Giraffe| The Blog Loving
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME PRETTY, NO STAHP IT YOU. NO U ARE u.u

      Yeah, taking off eye makeup has to be the most difficult thing of the daily skincare routine ._.
      LOL OMG, SEEING MASCARA BREAK DOWN IN THE SHOWER IS ONE OF THE FUNNIEST THINGS EVER THOUGH BECAUSE YOU LOOK LIKE A RACCOON AND IT IS THE MOST HILARIOUS

      RITE? I feel like it's too pretty to take out with me!

      Delete
    2. ppppftttt gurrrrl!!

      I know XD hahahaha it'd be a good technique to use for halloween I think..just dash into the shower, rinse your face and then scare everyone with minimal effort >:) hahaha

      Delete
  7. great review! and that compact it absolutely gorgeous! looks like you had a fab birthday! x

    www.article21.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The compact is absolutely stunning!

      Delete
  8. WOW! I love the compact! Looks awesome! I think I would go to the Clinique ones Ms. Vanessa! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful compact, isn't it? c:
      They're both lovely mascaras though!

      Delete
  9. I would suggest the mascara I use, except you just wrote an elaborate review on it. I love High Impact! It gives me the most natural looking lashes I've seen. It's also easy to add drama for non casual looks (I typically apply 3 coats)!

    Thanks for sharing, bigsexyV

    -Lillian at Mascaradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESS. But I'd still love to see your take on it!

      othx, bigsexyL (idk, maybe I'll call you that from now on HEH)

      Delete
  10. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok again OMG!! you have the sephora ariel mirrorr :3 :3 :3 im so happy for you! but at the same time im slowly dying from jealousy. i really want that mirror but its so hard to get a hold of any sephora item from my country huhu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAHHHHHHHHH, BE JEALOUS 8D (I mean, I would be jealous of anyone else who had the mirror)

      Yeah, it's a shame they don't have a large amount of Sephoras in Asia :(

      Delete
  11. I've been wanting to try this mascara because of the pixiwoo sisters. That's awesome that it doesn't transfer!

    Happy birthday btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I recall the pixiwoo sisters loving this mascara!

      Thankyou! ʘ‿ʘ

      Delete
  12. your blog is so sexy,
    i love it.
    the reviews that you do are exquisite.
    :)

    please do check out my giveaway here:
    http://brushesandpens.blogspot.com/2013/09/international-giveaway-firmoo-sponsored.html

    ---

    keyti of brushesandpens

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated bday! I'm so jealous of that compact! Big little mermaid fan here!! I think your blogs a gem, following now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And always nice to meet another Little Mermaid fan ;)

      Delete
  14. Happy belated birthday. I can see you had a wild time.

    I'm sorry about your sensitivity towards mascara but I'm glad you found a budgeproof and lazy shower-away-and-be-gone mascara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!I did, haha ;)

      Yupp! Shame it's mad expensive though, hah

      Delete