Essence's 'Silky Touch' Blushes {Review + Swatches ʘ‿ʘ}


Blushes are basically the only products I get excited about. Well...and concealer. I just think it's so impressive that there can be so many shades of peach, pink, coral, plum and red, all to flatter the cheekbones for a gorgeous rosy glow!

After being unimpressed with Essence's 'Stays No Matter What' eyeliner (reviewed here), I decided to try again and buy one of their 'Silky Touch' blushes (because you can never go wrong with blush!), and you know what? I was so impressed that I ran back for more! ʘ‿ʘ



1st Row: Adorable (#10), Life's A Cherry (#60)
2nd Row: Sweetheart (#50), Babydoll (#20)
For those unfamiliar with the brand 'Essence', it is a German cosmetics brand, and their products can be found at Ulta, Shoppers Drug Mart, Walgreens, etc (complete list here). All their items are under $5 CDN!!

I'm not sure if they currently have more shades out, but the ones I picked at Shoppers Drug Mart up are:

Adorable (#10) - vibrant baby pink
Babydoll (#20) - dusty rose/mauve
Sweetheart (#50) - cool toned, pale pink
Life's A Cherry (#60) - vibrant red-pink

(I am terrible at describing colours so when you see the swatches, you can make your own description, k? ._.'')

These blushes come in a basic, clear plastic compact with no brush or mirror, and cute little orbits (I hope they're orbits/solar systems!) embossed on the product. Packaging and product are pretty sturdy—I've accidentally dropped ...'a few' from a decent height and experienced no cracking. 

All shades have minimal shimmer.

Let's start with the pros, shall we?

Essence did not mess around when they named their blush 'Silky Touch', because it is the softest blush I've ever had the pleasure of swiping! Ever feel those high end, super buttery, super pigmented eyeshadows (think UD, Lorac)? This feels exactly like that. The deeper shades of this line are also ridiculously pigmented, with little fallout, and you know what the best part is? THEY ARE LITERALLY $3 CDN (ok well, $2.99) EACH. THREE. DOLLARS. RIDICULOUSLY UNDERPRICED. 

When I first saw these blushes, I immediately thought, "Uh, why are these so small?". Surprisingly, they contain 5 grams of product, which is more than Wet N Wild's blushes (4 grams), Milani's baked blushes (3.5 grams), and Bourjois blushes (2.5 grams), and they're cheaper too!

These will actually last all day long on the skin without looking powdery, and are quite blendable

But then, there's also cons!

In my opinion, the formula for this blush is perfect. However, I do have issues with the lighter shades of this line. It's not that they are not pigmented enough, it's just that they're just very light colours in nature and I wouldn't recommend the lighter shades for darker skintones because they will not show up.
Going on that point, I wish there are more shades released (and a larger shade variety) because 'Adorable' and 'Sweetheart' are really light, which means those of darker skintones only have 'Babydoll' and 'Life's A Cherry' to choose from.

As a I mentioned before, these blushes are ridiculously pigmented, so you might accidentally overapply. Make sure you use a light hand! If you do accidentally overapply, what I usually do is use the back of my hand and gently rub the blush towards my ear....like a cat...IT SOUNDS WEIRD, BUT IT DOES WORK TO BLEND/RUB OUT THE BLUSH. Alternatively, use a clean brush and buff out. 

Speaking of pigmentation, another issue I have with 'Life's A Cherry' is that it can be a bit difficult to blend, but what I usually do is use the back of my hand to sheer it out. 

TOO MUCH READING, LET'S SEE SWATCHES!







Shades Under Cool Lighting

Shades Under Warm Lighting

Ugly Quad of Face Swatches 
(click to blow up at your own caution)(someone tell me how to pose for selfies because I can't)
______________________________________________________________________

TL;DR (Too long; didn't read)

PROS:
  • Ridiculously soft/smooth, not chalky
  • Great pigmentation; can be sheered out easily, or be built up
  • 5 grams of product for $3 CDN; fantastic value for product
  • Basic small packaging makes it ultra-portable, but there's no mirror or brush included (who uses the brushes that come with blushers anyways)
CONS:
  • Limited shade range; Lighter shades will barely show up on darker skintones (or need to be built up)
  • 'Life's A Cherry' is ridiculously pigmented, so you'll need to take some time to sheer/blend it out

Bottom line: 
You really can't go wrong with these (aka, I highly recommend!). I've already erased some of the embossing on the pans because they were just so darn soft and I could not stop touching them. 

If you are hesitant to buy these, I suggest you start off with 'Babydoll' or 'Adorable' anyways because they are my personal favourites and are ridiculously beautiful on the cheeks + you really can't go wrong with spending $3 on a blush!

SO YEAH, THX 4 READING DIS FAR.
Have you tried anything from Essence before? Any other drugstore blush gems that I should know about? ʘ‿ʘ

In other unrelated news, I was never a fan of Halloween before, but for some reason, I'm totally digging it this year! I've even decorated my desk!


66 comments

  1. baby doll looks so pretttyyy :O thanks for the in depth review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they all show up and work so well on your pale skin! I think the only one I'd pick up is Life's a cherry, I really like my blushes super pigmented because its easier to add a bit that's more pigmented than to spend ages building up color (im a crazy blush person)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -BLESSED TO HAVE PALE SKIN-
      That's true, but Life's A Cherry is really bright. Workable, and really pretty if you sheer it out! (same, BLUSHES 5EVA)

      Delete
  3. They look amazing! I wish we had Essence over here. I also find that for most brands, light coloured blushes don't really show up but they look really nice on fair skinned people x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard they have some stores in the UK that now carry Essence, although not sure which ones!
      And yeah, that's true! Sometimes I kinda do want a less pigmented blush for a 'barely-there' look

      Delete
  4. Thanks to you I will probably pick these babies up now at my Walgreens... I love adding new blushes to my collection :D Even though I have similar colors already... if they are cheap in Canada...then they are probably just as cheap here in the US! Thanks for the review :D
    <3 Pauline, ­­Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HEARD THEY WERE LESS THAN $1 AT ULTA. RIDICULOUS.

      Delete
    2. Now im definjtely picking these up!!!!

      Delete
  5. Your pictures look pretty! And these blushes look very nice~ I especially like babydoll^-^ Thanks for sharing:D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Babydoll is really pretty! c:

      Delete
  6. They are all so pretty ! and glad they are pigmented enough ! ^___^ I heard they are very good for their cheap price .

    http://krystallvl.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are ridiculously excellent for their cheap price, haha!

      Delete
  7. I've been looking for a good blush! I had never heard of these before!!
    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They carry Essence at Ulta/Walgreens, so hopefully you find a shade you like in there! :D

      Delete
  8. VANESSA
    your posts are literally perfect and your editing is perfect and your selfies are gorgeous and basically I wish you lived near by instead of a zillion miles away because then we could freak out (minion style) over highly pigmented but ridiculously cheap drugstore blushers together dsjfbjkghdje
    these look amazinggg! They remind me of the MUA ones we have here which are only a pound but are pretty impressive! From the swatches I just know the first one I would grab would be babydoll, but then YOUR FACE SWATCHES gah you looks so lovely in all the shades girl!
    Essence has JUST come out over here in the UK but in a very tiny selection of stores and none near me! (boo hiss growl) would love to try them and compare them to MUA ^.^
    The Blushing Giraffe| The Blog Loving
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IQRA, Y R YOUR COMMENTS ALWAYS SO MOTIVATING/UPLIFTING FOR MY DAY/TOO SWEET

      BUT NO SRS, same, I SHOULD SAVE SOME BIG STACKS SO I CAN VISIT UK NEXT YEAR OR SOMETHING BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A+ (and then I can grab some fashionista + MUA + Sleek blushers because SKAJDKSJFKJFD)

      QURL I KNOW YOU'D ALSO LOOK FIERCE IN ALL THOSE SHADES :D
      Ahh, I hope more stores pick them up! They are a fantastic brand! I'd love to see that comparison happen! :D

      Delete
    2. i love this whole thread in general.
      Jenn
      A Beautiful Zen

      Delete
  9. I've always been hesitant to buy anything from Essence, idk why. But these look amazing! And I personally think 'sweetheart' looks amazeballs on you (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO ITTTTTTT. I mean, the blushes are really nice, but I'm not too sure about their other stuff (heard their mascaras were good though idk).

      O THX ಠᴗಠ

      Delete
  10. These look sooo nice. Never tried anything fro Essence but it sounds great. Life's a cherry looks gooorgeous :)

    Rosie
    x
    therunwayrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't hurt to try some of their stuff, it's ridiculously cheap! c:

      Delete
  11. This range of blushes are really affordable! I don't think we get this brand in the US though boo! I get paranoid about over applying my blush sometimes and I actually use the same trick as you to blend down the color.

    Yah LSG is looking all sorts of swoony these days ^_~

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! They do carry Essence at Ulta/Walgreens!
      WE R KITTY CATS, HEHE.

      LSG ALWAYS looks swoony ;)

      Delete
  12. They look great on you! Good review!:)
    I love that baby doll shade! Nice Halloween decorated desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! c:
      My Halloween desk is ~2spooky~

      Delete
  13. Try the physician's formula hapy booster blush! It's one of my favs.

    -Lillian at Mascaradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would but it's kinda pricey! :(
      BUT I WILL EVENTUALLY

      Delete
  14. These blushes are so pretty! I love the swatches + color pay offs! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! Ridiculous pigmentation too! c:

      Delete
  15. Thank you soooo much! I will try not to freak out to much about my high school choice ;) Xoxox!


    misszhara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colour range looks really nice! and the 'silky touch' daws me right in...I love those products that you touch and they feel sooo smooth. Ahh. haha i can be so shallow when it comes to makeup but i just can't help it <3

    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES same! Except I have a tendency to touch them too much, so it's a waste of product as well, haha. IT'S OK, CUTE PACKAGING IS THERE FOR A REASON C:

      Delete
  17. ok...the depotting fingers are itching to get my hands on one or two of these. lol im' so glad you can get blush for such a good price b/w these, nyx, and wet n wild i think must blush lusts can be fulfilled.
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ia, these blushes are cheaper than Wet n Wild and so soft, and that makes me incredibly happy. THEY JUST NEED TO RELEASE MORE SHADES

      Delete
  18. Great post! These all look so pretty and I love how affordable they are too :) They all suit you as well! Just added your blog to my reader, so happy I found it! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Always the best thing is when a blush is pretty and affordable, so you don't break the bank! c:

      Delete
  19. I love Essence because it's so cheap for great quality ^_^
    It's lucky you didn't give up on Essence after the dissapointing experience with the eyeliner!
    The colours are all gorgeous but i think i love the baby doll colour the most because i absolutely adore coral shades ~~
    Great blog :D

    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad I didn't give up either because they have amazing products!

      Thankyou! c:

      Delete
  20. Life's a Cherry looks so pretty! I've been looking for a red blush for a while now and these look so great! :D I'm so tempted to also pick up Sweetheart...

    Vanessa, all the blushes look amazing on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PICK THEM BOTH UP!!! They were only $3CDN, so they're bound to be cheaper where you live!

      Thankyou! c: (I'm sure they'd look fantastic on you too, hehe)

      Delete
  21. Amazing post!!!Your blog is lovely!!!! Would you like to follow each other on bloglovin' ? xxx
    Gleaming Spire // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow!! I never thought it would cost under $5! just by looking at it I was expecting them to be at least $15!~
    hehe looks really nice on you!!!
    really like "babydoll" and "life's a cherry"!!!
    xxx Charmaineee

    charrmyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH, RIDICULOUSLY INEXPENSIVE :D
      Snag one up!

      Delete
  23. Wow, AMAZING post! Love the pictures and the review's so thorough! Good job. xx

    Fernanda | Ferdie's Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for sharing such a great post. The swatches and pictures were great! I definitely need to check these out sometime especially since the price is on point :)

    xoxo, charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are ridiculously expensive and definitely worth a try; it'll only set you back $3! c:

      Delete
  25. I've never tried Essence blush before, but now I want to! Adorable and Life's a Cherry might be my 2 faves of the bunch.

    I love how you do the TL;DR section. It made me laugh.

    Since you're getting into Halloween this year, you should check out my recent post, The Halloween Tag that I did with BeautybyKendraC.com. I hope you do it :)

    fairestsfavorites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dooo ittt! :D
      TL;DR definitely makes everything faster ;)

      I'd love to! I'll go check it out now!

      Delete
  26. vanessa! adorable looks adorable on you! hahaha :) i dont think you over applied life is a cherry at all, i would probably wear it that way, and among all the blushes im mostly interested on that shade. my complexion is a bit darker than yours and if the other colors is hardly noticeable on you then it wont show up at all on me lol. i always like finding inexpensive blushes as they are also one of my favorites. i would collect all shades if that's possible. you can also check out the drugstore brand sleek. they have amazing blushes, good color and quality. i even like them more than some of my mac blushes. i think you're going to like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'ADORABLE' LOOKS ADORABLE ON EVERYONE ;)
      LOL it's a really nice shade, and it would definitely look lovely on you! :D

      I do want some sleek items, but not prepared to pay for the shipping costs to Canada! MAD MONEYYY. I will hoard some up when I do go to the UK though! :D

      Delete
  27. I will definetly take a look at these next time I'm in Shoppers!! Adorable looks, well, adorable! haha

    XOXO
    http://fallenfeathersbeautyblog.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do take a look, I think they're underrated! :D

      Delete
  28. These look awesome! Thanks for sharing :) Lifes a Cherry is my fave of the bunch!

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're welcome! + 'Life's A Cherry' is pretty bold c:

      Delete
  29. Love these! Life's a cherry reminds me of my favorite Nars blush in Amour :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to look up 'Amour', and 'Amour' is stunning! 'Life's A Cherry' is more a vibrant red though c:

      Delete
  30. I would run out and grab these blushes in different shades just like you too! They are so cheap and the name silky touch is enough to tantalize my "tastebuds'. Hmm but you mentioned shimmer. I usually go for non shimmers but heck, these are so cute and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MINIMAL AMOUNT OF SHIMMER. Barely noticeable, haha! Yeah, they are cute and cheap though c:

      Delete
  31. OMG! These look perfect. I know how you feel about blushes. I love them too :P I recently tried the Essence mascara and I really liked it. I have been hunting for new Essence products to try, I guess I know what I'll be buying next ;)
    Kookii || The Beauty Diary♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do give the blushes a try!! I love how inexpensive the brand is :3

      Delete
  32. I'm way late to the party on these, but I've been wearing Adorable every day all month, and I absolutely love it to pieces. So soft and easy to apply, and very natural looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adorable isn't my favourite shade, but Essence did an amazing job with these blushes! SO SOFT AND PIGMENTED

      Delete