DIY PRINTED WOOD PHOTO BACKGROUNDS

The one where I talk about faking wood ;)

When I saw this post by A Pair and A Spare last year, I was mindblown. MINDBLOWN!! For some reason, I forgot about it until a few weeks ago when I had an epiphany of sorts. If you could fake marble backgrounds, WHAT ELSE COULD YOU FAKE? WOODEN FLOORS? BRICK WALLS? STONE TILES? THE POSSIBILITIES WERE ENDLESS.

CUE PRINTED TEXTURED BACKGROUNDS.

LITERALLY PRINTING OUT STOCK PATTERNS/IMAGES ON PAPER.

(On a scale of legal to illegal, I don't know how legal this technique is though so Y'KNOW)

This is obviously better suited for smaller objects (due to paper size constraints) and best paired with 'real' textures (fur, knit, etc), and I was pretty pleased when some of you were shocked by the fact that the 'wood texture' in the below photo wasn't actually wood. It's literally a picture of wood grain printed on paper. SUCKERS. A trained eye could probably spot this a mile away, but for me it's about the wood texture and what it does for the overall composition.


Anyways, here's what I did:

1 | Google Image'd some textures. There are plenty of stock textures on the internet, and all it takes are search words such as "wood texture", "marble texture", etc. If nothing takes your fancy, feel free to walk abound your neighbourhood taking photos of your neighbour's wood fences. (Not even kidding. The middle grey wood texture above is from a neighbour's fence)

2 | Made sure it's printable size; if not, Photoshop to the rescue! Part of making these prints believable is making sure they are comparable to real life proportions. A slab of wood isn't going to look real if its width is the same as a lipstick bullet, right? Since I print on 8.5x11 cardstock, I need to make sure the image is large enough to fill the page, and I usually do that by transforming and editing the image in Photoshop (editing as in, making the image brighter/darker/adding more contrast, etc). I find 2-3 'planks' of wood on the page just right.

3 | Print and style. These printed sheets are better suited for flatlays (otherwise you'd see the lack of gaps between planks if you were to shoot from a different angle) and you'll most likely need to add in some contrast when editing the photo, but they're still a great alternative if you're after the ~wood look~ without buying them just for blogging.

No comments