MINI MASK REVIEW DUMP | FAB, INNISFREE, ORIGINS, REN

"Why do you have so many masks, Vanessa?" WELL, MAYBE BECAUSE MY PORES ARE LARGER THAN KANYE WEST'S EGO, ALRIGHT?

But fo'real, I'm always on the hunt for a good clarifying/cleansing mask since I've been desperately losing the blackheads battle on my nose since highschool. Like damn, you'd think I would have figured this sht out by now, right? LOLNOPE.

FIRST AID BEAUTY  |  SKIN RESCUE PURIFYING MASK WITH RED CLAY

"A 20-minute peel-off mask to detoxify, reduce pores, and control excess oil."

ERMAHGERD!!! PEEL OFF MASK!!! This mask comes out as a thick red goopy/tacky gel that is a bit hard to smear, but it dries quickly in ~15-20 minutes and basically becomes a giant pore strip for your face. Well, a weak pore strip, but it does pull out some visible blackhead plugs, which is always exciting. It's not as drying as a clay mask, does keep my skin mattified and makes it smooth, but as for reducing pores? Nahhhh.

Fun product, ok-ish results.


"A 6-in-1 pore treatment clay mask with super volcanic cluster capsules to effectively absorb sebum and resolve pore concerns. Contract Pores + Controls sebum + Exfoliate + Deep Cleanse + Brighten Tone + Cooling"

This light grey paste contains 'Jeju volcanic clay' and chunks of 'super volcanic cluster capsules' that exfoliates the skin. Unlike other clay masks, you don't see it absorbing oil (aka, your face doesn't turn into a giant pumice stone looking thing), but applying this mask is so satisfying because it's so thick and smooth. I do notice slight brightening + sebum control, but everything else seems to be bogus for me.

ORIGINS  |  CLEAR IMPROVEMENT

"A mask with activated charcoal to draw out deep-dwelling pore-cloggers."

Loved by many...but not by me. As this thick black goopy mask dries, you can see the oil being absorbed, but somehow I'm just not seeing a major difference when I take it off. I bought the full sized tube years ago, didn't like it, returned it, but picked up the deluxe sample size because the ~blogger world~ had convinced me that I needed it.

I still think it's 'meh'. Queen Helene's Mint Julep does a better job at a fraction of the cost, and it actually tightens my pores.

ORIGINS  |  OUT OF TROUBLE

"This mask rapidly responds to problem skin with a three-part plan: sop up oily-shine, slough off sticky, dead cells, and sweep away irksome debris."

This white clay mask contains sulphur, salicylic acid, and camphor (damn, so industrial strength). I used to use this as an overnight spot/area treatment before realising it did nothing for my acne. No cleansing, no shrinkage,...but it did keep my spots mattified. My acne's pretty darn tough though, so MAYBE IT'S JUST ME?

REN | INVISIBLE PORES DETOX MASK

"This mask reduces the appearance of pore size and leaves the skin purified, smoothed, and toned."

By no means a miracle product, but I actually do like this mask as it mostly does what it says—it tones and brightens my skin, and I can actually see that some pore cleansing action has happened. Consistency is smooth, but on the thinner side.
___________________________________________________________________________
*REN and First Aid Beauty are CF; Origins owned by Estee Lauder which tests on animals; Innisfree sells in China where animal testing is required

If I had to rank them all, then probably: REN > FAB = INNISFREE > Origins Clear Improvement > Origins Out of Trouble. Curse damn my pores.

No comments