TESTING, TESTING | HERBIVORE ACTIVATE MASK

Damn, Vanessa. Another mask? WELL, THE MINIMALIST PACKAGING SUCKERED ME IN, ALRIGHT?

Since one of my goals this year is to go cruelty-free with my makeup and skincare purchases, it largely means diving into the ~indie~ side of things (ah, an excuse to buy MORE stuff!). And since I'm as shallow as a plate, I'll admit that Herbivore Botanicals caught my eye purely based on their minimal packaging. DON'T JUDGEEEEE MEEEEEE. 

"Micronized Tourmaline Gemstone and Activated Bamboo Charcoal combine in this ionically charged deeply detoxifying and cleansing activated facial mask." 

Their Activate Facial mask (2oz | 60ml) literally only has five ingredients: brazilian tourmaline gemstone, activated bamboo charcoal, dead sea clay, blue yarrow, and jasmine sambac oil, which means the whole pot smells pretty herb-y. Since this is the first powder mask I've ever tried, I really don't know how it compares to others in its category. I mix roughly a teaspoon with a few drops of water (consistency is really up to you), and it feels velvety when I apply it. It does dry very quickly, which means I usually end up layering wet mask over dried sections.


Given my track record with masks, I do have to say I do enjoy this one (but y'know, I'm not raving over it/shouting praises for it from my couch). I especially notice cleansing on my nose (aka the blackhead ~military~ fortress), as my nose looks a tad brighter and less blackhead-y upon rinsing. Like every other clay mask, it does leave the skin dry, but something that does throw me off is that you really can't move your face when the mask dries—not because the mask is painfully tight, but because it will start lightly cracking and crumbling, which leads to powder falling everywhere. I'm just going to assume it's because it's a finely milled powder mask. (Also, appropriate gif is appropriate)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Any ~indie~ skincare brands you love/I should know about?

No comments