THINGS I'VE LEARNED AS DSLR OWNER

When I got my first job, one of the first things I ever ~bought with my own money~ was a point and shoot. I've since then upgraded to a DSLR, but there just some things they don't tell you when you finally get around to owning one of those HEAVY MUTHAF%$#$R$.

1 | One lens can literally send you into 'overweight carry-on baggage' panic mode. SO BEGINS THE JUDGEMENT FROM PEOPLE BEHIND YOU IN THE LINE.

2 | There's a button on the DSLR...that turns off the flash. You don't want to know how long it took me to figure that out.

3 | Flash isn't the devil. Shooting in low light situations without a tripod is.

4 | DUST. DUST EVERYWHERE. ON THE LENS, ON THE MIRROR, ON THE SENSOR, ON THE FOCUSING SCREEN.

(Literally scratched my focusing screen because I tried to remove dust from it...the less-than-recommended way)

5 | Always have a spare fully charged battery. Nothing is more embarrassing than asking the sales associate at the camera store for some some lenses to try on your camera only to realise you've drained the battery by leaving the camera on overnight.

6 | $150 FOR A CAMERA LENS????!?!??!?!...Actually yeah, that's pretty affordable.

7 | 'Burst' mode (i.e. multiple shots per second) is a riot at parties. Easily identify those with strong selfie game by flipping through these photos.

8. Having a DSLR didn't automatically make my photos 10000x better, but it taught me how to shoot better. Adjusting the combination of shutter speed and aperture, finding the best time of day to shoot, understanding the difference between shooting at day vs night, determining which lens to pack...WHAT HAVE I BECOME? I FEEL A SAILOR WHO IS NOW PROFICIENT IN STAR CHARTS OR SOMETHING.
____________________________________________________________

What weird things have you learned from/with your camera?

No comments