YOU DON'T NEED A DSLR TO BLOG | BLOGGERS AND THEIR CAMERAS

I think more than anything, people are more in love with the idea of a DLSR than the actual thing. I mean, those heavy muthaf%$#$r$ GIVE YOU INSTANT STREET CRED AS A PROTOG, MAN.

However, something I stress when people are in the market for a new camera purchase is to not just just to look at DSLRS, but at mirrorless and point and shoot cameras too. To demonstrate that you don't need a DSLR for blogging and that the photographer is more important than the camera, I've asked several bloggers what camera they use and why they chose that model. I've also highlighted quotes that I think are important.
_______________________________________________________________________________________



I use the Olympus Pen E-PL 5. I chose it specifically because my point and shoot was not cutting it anymore with the quality of images I could get and the amount of control I had. I didn't want a full DSLR because I have no experience with them and I know my tolerance level of spending time to figure it out is pretty low. Also, if you go all out they can get really expensive really quickly. My camera is a micro 4/3 camera so it has a body and detachable lenses like a DSLR, I can shoot in manual with full control and it can shoot in RAW. It's really just a DSLR without the physical mirror inside so it takes away a lot of the bulk and weight. It's also really tiny and it has a retro vibe to the look that I love. It would be limiting to someone who already has lenses for a regular DSLR because you would need to buy an attachment to use the larger lenses on the smaller body. Also I learned last week that it can’t tether to shoot from my computer (thanks Vanessa) and as far as I know remotes are not as readily available so they can be pricey. But if you (like me) have no interest in building a camera kit it is a great camera to get higher quality images.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I use a Canon 600D for my blog photos, but truthfully I only bought this instead of a mirrorless camera is because I’d wanted a great camera for a long time for personal use, and wasn't even writing a blog at the time of purchase. This one was chosen as it was dead-on what I’d wanted to spend at the time, but I’m starting to see the occasional glitch that suggests a little more time researching a more recent model may have been more cost effective. Because of this I can’t wholeheartedly recommend this guy any more (weeps in a corner).

Saying that, owning a DSLR genuinely helped me get my current job, so I can’t weep too loudly. If you have the money and are willing to learn, DSLRs are great investments that can produce stunning photos. If your heart is telling you it is right for you, by all means get out there and do your homework before buying. I will say that shooting on manual is a must for me, as photos become vibrant and striking, rather than the flat, drab shots you tend to get on automatic settings.
_______________________________________________________________________________________



Okay, so DLSR. Yes, I do have one. If we’re getting technical here, I have the Canon 600D. I got this as a vacation present from my dad just before we went to Kenya a couple years back (side tracking a bit, but trying to get a photo of a cheetah in a tree the third day you have a new camera isn’t the easiest thing). Up till last year, I used to carry around my camera almost everywhere I went, terrified that I would miss something important. But then I got lazy and decided that my back was about to break lugging around the block of weight. So now, paired with the Canon 35mm f/2, my DLSR is primarily used for blog photos.
_______________________________________________________________________________________



I use a Canon 550D camera for the vast majority of my blog photos, but I didn't buy it specifically for blogging, I had it for uni anyway. It’s pretty much identical to THAT Canon camera that everyone thinks you need for blogging, minus the flip out screen! Most of the time I take photos with a 40mm lens, which I like because it takes pretty photos with minimal effort, and it’s pretty small for on the go too. However, recently when I've been super busy with uni, I've taken a lot of my photos with my iPhone 6 (shhhh, don’t tell anyone!), and nobody has noticed a difference yet!
_______________________________________________________________________________________

For the past two years, I've been using a Canon PowerShot ELPH 110HS. It's a small, compact little camera, which I think might make me an exception in the blogger world! As much as I swoon over larger, higher-tech DSLR cameras, I'm also kind of proud of my little PowerShot. What can I say? I like to root for an underdog! Once I decided that I wanted to go the route of a compact camera, I set out to find the best of the best. Specifically, I wanted to snag a camera with amazing clarity, versatility, and the ability to work in a variety of settings with different lighting. My previous camera did horribly in dimmer light and would not focus worth a crap. I needed to rectify this! I plodded off to electronics retailers with my most important tool in hand: a lipstick. My favourite kind of tool! The ultimate test was whether I could take a clear, true to colour shot of a lipstick in the awkward lighting of a giant store. So yes, there I was, propping a lipstick on the display ledge, photographing it like it was a high fashion model. In the end, the ELPH 110HS was the clear winner. It had 16.1 megapixels, a variety of lighting settings, and made my little lipstick look like it belonged in the pages of Vogue. Haven't regretted my choice for a second!
_______________________________________________________________________________________


I used the Panasonic Lumix GF3 but have now upgraded to the Panasonic Lumix G6. Both of these are micro 4/3s cameras. The lenses are interchangable and they retail for $600-700 or so at the time when I got them. My brother actually gave me the GF3 and I wanted to stick to one family of cameras (micro four thirds) since branching out would have been economically inefficient (ie. buying new lenses for a full DSLR when I already have lenses for micro four thirds). I still use the GF3 for events since it is still lighter and smaller than the G6.

There are a range of cameras within either the Micro four thirds or the DSLR categories. Some micro four thirds perform better than some DSLRs. I like the micro four third because its more compact, still has interchangeable lenses, my particular model has a fully articulated flip out screen and wifi shutter capabilities. The only real thing I lose by not using a DSLR is the ability to print wall sized posters and a stronger sensor abilities in low light.
_______________________________________________________________________________________



I use the Sony Alpha A5000. I chose it because it was on sale (lol), but also because from what I've seen of the reviews they were all generally positive. I chose it over a DSLR because you and Jenn kept pushing me NOT to get a DSLR, which I'm grateful for now. I was initially skeptical of the idea of a mirrorless camera until I tried out my camera and was blown away by how high quality the pictures came out. Compared to the cameras my dad has, my camera's pictures look a 100x better! I wish mirrorless cameras were mentioned more in the blogosphere as another option because it never came to my mind until Jenn mentioned it in a post/comment. I love the idea of it - compact like a point and shoot, but takes DSLR quality pictures.
_______________________________________________________________________________________



I use the Sanyo Xacti VPC-GH3 which is actually a video camcorder lol #unique. I bought it for my Youtube days (the memories) and since it has a photo function, I've been too lazy/cheap as chips to buy another one. It's easy to use, no faffing around with settings and when I'm in the mood to do something video-wise, there's that flexibility. I would actually really recommend it for those wanting an affordable HD cam for Youtube.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

#foodforthought

Anyways, the second half of this post will come out on Friday, in which these ~babes~ weigh in and give some advice on blog photography.

No comments