First things first
Though I've always wanted to go to Japan, I just didn't expect it to be so soon in my life. For weeks, my mom had been watching Japan and South Korea tourism videos on Youtube (I GET HER AN IPAD AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS) and gushing about how nice it would be to go for our annual trip. When she actually booked the tickets, I was like "wait wat" as I didn't think she was actually serious about going????? so soon???? mom???? wat r u doing??? (We also ended up booking a tour of South Korea, which will be part two to this post)
Not going to lie—I actually knew very little about modern Japan prior to the trip and deliberately chose not to do any research on popular attractions and destinations. GOTTA LET THE TRIP (AND LIFE) ~SURPRISEEEEEEE~ YOU. (I kid, but my attention was primarily focused on Korea because ridin' that Hallyu wave, ya'll) Our week-long tour started in Tokyo and finished in Osaka, and mid-November was probably the best time I could've gone. The trees were still in prime "autumnal-colours-and-aren't-naked-yet" state, the weather wasn't too cold (~15ºC/60ºF), and some days were slightly dreary and
- Why is Tokyo's metro system so confusing??? WHY DO SOME TRAINS SHARE THE SAME TRACK; MY CITY'S SUBWAY SYSTEM ONLY HAS FOUR LINES
- Japanese toilets? I didn't even think the toilet could be improved?? (Canada needs to get on that heated toilet seat technology. It's disturbing and comforting, much like seeing dogs in clothes)
- OSAKA—IT'S A CITY (and not a district in Tokyo) AND IT'S ACTUALLY REALLY REALLY NICE. They even have their own castle!
- I found out that my mom will openly gush about how handsome some Japanese men are. (To be fair, I don't blame her because DA-DA-DAYUM)
- Mount Fuji isn't actually that impressive up close. For best results, stay far, far away.
- Magome. Go to Magome. (Or any of the post towns)
- I finally found out what "arigato" meant after I left Japan. (To be fair, it was either going to be "hello" or "thank you". Actually, scrap that—who says "hello" at the end of a sentence?)
- WHY ARE THE SACRED DEER AGGRESSIVELY EATING MY MAPS? SHOULD I ALSO OFFER THEM DELICACIES SUCH AS MY 12 PAGE UNIVERSITY ESSAYS??
Bonus of my favourite scene...that teeny tiny road though.
In all seriousness though, Japan has definitely made my list of "top five countries/states/regions" to visit, and I look forward to going back. Metropolises with the best of both worlds—the electric hustle and bustle of modernized areas contrasting with local traditions and the relaxed environment found at heritage sites, though overwhelming, has definitely made me want to be part of it all. (I mean that in a literal sense, because HOW DO I MOVE TO JAPANNNNNNN brb time to find a Japanese husband)
TL;DR: Japan is gorgeous 10/10 would go again but avoid the deer because they will eat you.
(I kid about the deer, but they will probably literally eat your money)
Also, this is going to be my last post for 2015, so HAPPY HOLIDAYS + HAPPY NEW YEAR! ❤
GO FORTH AND PARTY HARD.