HELLO RIVIERA MAYA

That time I lost my glasses to the ocean because I'm an idiot. (An idiot who just wanted to see where she was going while kayaking in rough waters while Snapchatting the adventure, aite??)(But yeah, I also dropped my phone in the ocean for a few seconds. SO BASICALLY THE LESSON HERE IS DON'T LEAVE THE HOUSE)


When I went to the Riviera Maya region of Mexico back in June of this year, I....WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY. HOW MUCH CLOTHING SHOULD I *NOT* BE WEARING TO STAY COMFORTABLE? HOW MUCH SUNSCREEN SHOULD I BE WEARING TO STAY PASTY AF SO I DON'T HAVE TO BUY NEW FOUNDATIONS AND CONCEALERS??? I also realised that I was not built for idling around on the beach—I ended up buying hotel wifi so I could surf the internet while lounging on the beach. I KNOW, I KNOW. EVEN ON VACATION I NEEDED TO BE (SOMEWHAT) PRODUCTIVE.

For this year's week-long famjam trip, I chose Playa del Carmen because it wasn't as touristy as Cancun, and it was in close proximity to the Tulum ruins I wanted to see. We booked a day trip that included a trip to the ruins and to Akumal, where we got to go snorkeling with sea turtles. I'm actually not the best swimmer, so my tour guide was kind enough to drag me around on a life preserver ring the entire time, bless his soul. (You can see the life preserve in one of the photos above; the same photo where my mom looks like she's having the best time of her life.) Seeing all those sea turtles chillin' on the ocean floor was quite exciting, and we also got to see other ocean life doin' their thing (fishes, stingrays, coral reefs).

I swear my stomach also saw the sun for the first time on this trip, and my sunscreen reapplication schedule was clearly a joke because my backside still ended up burning and peeling. (My shoulders haven't seen the sun since then, heheheh) There were plenty of activities to do at the resort we stayed at (Viva Wyndham Azteca): I rode a jet ski for the first time (and felt like DJ Khaled; "RIT WIT ME THROUGH THE JOURNEY OF MORE SUCCESS", "WOOooOoooooOOOOOOOOH", "THEY DON'T WANT U TO JET SKI"), sailed on a catamaran, capsized while kayaking, and I pretty much ate burgers smothered in guacamole and pico de gallo all day everyday. DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON ALL THE GORGEOUS TROPICAL PLANTS I SAW. BIRDS OF PARADISE. MONSTERAS. GOLDEN POTHOS. GIANT A$$ PALM TREES. MY PERSONAL HEAVEN, FAM. 

Even though I ain't built for hot weather, I'd love to go to Mexico again and incorporate city exploration into my itinerary. ARCHITECTURE. AUTHENTIC-ER MEXICAN FOOD. NIGHTLIFE. A VISIT TO TRUMP'S AMERICAN-MEXICO BORDER WALL THAT WILL BE PAID FOR BY MEXICO.


What are your next travel plans? 

(But seriously, my mom's faces in some of these vacation photos make her look like she's having the time of her life, and I just couldn't resist making this)


No comments